FORUMS: list search recent posts

wireless router

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joshua
wireless router
on Sep 8, 2005 at 11:49:36 pm

hi. i have a wireless router upstairs that had been set up with a PC (a Dell). my iMac G4 is downstairs, and i was going to get a wireless card for it, but have been told that it can only run wireless through an airport card to the "airport" i believe it's called, set up specifically for Macs.
Question: Can I connect to the wireless router upstairs through a wireless card (or airport card) in my Mac?

PS: Mr. Carpenter, striking my drive worked perfectly for installing a new OS. no problems at all after i did it the right way. thanks for the advice!

Josh

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: wireless router
on Sep 9, 2005 at 12:26:00 am

hello...

short answer: yes. you can connect to almost any wireless router that supports your protocol (802,11b, etc.) - few of them actually support macs (and by that i mean they won't tell you how to connect, but it's all the same wireless standard), but it's certainly doable.

(i have a netgear wireless router here and have connected with airport cards on a few macs in the past)

depending on your brand, there might be a few tips and tricks, though, espeically if you want to do wep or other things like that - the best thing i can suggest is check here for answers and also google up your brand of router and "os x" (_with_ quotes) and you'll likely find a lot of others out there who have already logged all the little nits that might be needed to get you talking to your specific router...

sitruc

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Sep 9, 2005 at 2:48:42 pm

FWIW

I've used the D-Link DWL-122 Wireless USB adapter with success on my G4OSX system.

Cheers,

Joe

Return to posts index

Lukkee Chong
on Sep 20, 2005 at 7:41:36 pm

I have been using my Powerbook and my daughter's iBook on a wireless Belkin router for years while the router is connected to a Dell. Plug and play!
lc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]