FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does it matter what Brand of Memory is added to Power Mac G5?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rober't
Does it matter what Brand of Memory is added to Power Mac G5?
on Sep 6, 2005 at 5:28:21 pm

Hello,
I want to add memory to a Power Mac G5, 2.0. I have found several different brands online at varying prices: Samsung, 4 All Memory, Other World Computing, etc. Samsung is always the most expensive. Do the cheaper brands operate as well? Any recommendations if price is an issue. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Does it matter what Brand of Memory is added to Power Mac G5?
on Sep 6, 2005 at 5:39:39 pm

All I can offer is my own experience which is http://www.crucial.com

The RAM I've bought from them works perfectly alongside the RAM that came with my G5. They sometimes sell different-priced RAM but the cheapest ones they offer works fine for me.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what you've listed, but I can only talk about my own experiences. Perhaps someone else can tell you about those brands.

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Sep 6, 2005 at 9:01:17 pm

Memory problems caused by poorly made or not totally compatible memory being installed are common and very hard to troubleshoot. Unless you really know what you are looking at, play it safe and go with Crucial memory as Jeff suggests: http://www.crucial.com/

Crucial's price are pretty good and even if it costs an extra few bucks, its worth it.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Rober't
on Sep 7, 2005 at 1:33:18 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I will definately check out the Crucial website for beefing up my Mac memory.

Return to posts index

Toby Angwin
on Sep 8, 2005 at 7:12:54 am

I bought Samsung ram as I didn't want to frieght Crucial ram from the states to OZ and it is fine.

My best advice would be buy what you want or can afford, the run the apple hardware tester overnight and see if all is well.

Cheers,

Toby

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on Sep 8, 2005 at 7:11:27 pm

I have been buying non-apple RAM since the first G4's came out.

Ram either works or it's unstable. You need to know your system is stable before the upgrade. Then: upgrade only the RAM. You will know if your system becomes unstable within one day.

I have upgraded 7 systems - 4 G4's and three G5's with whatever our most convenient PC supplier has in stock, and have never had any problems directly attributable to RAM. Other guys have had problems, but as I said - if your system is unstable with the new RAM, send it back and get other Ram.

Simple. Only change one thing at a time. That way you simplify the problem so you can trace the fault.

Regards
Francois

PS = strange - here in South Africa Samsing is the cheapest Ram, cheapest hard disks also...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]