FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG-2 encoding problem

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kennon Shain
MPEG-2 encoding problem
on Aug 24, 2005 at 9:44:46 pm

Hi all-

I posted this problem in the FInal Cut forum awhile ago, but it didn't ring a bell for anyone. Basically, when I try to export my final cut sequence in FCP 4.5 as a MPEG-2 file, it crashes somewhere along the way, but at different times. But when it crashes, it usually comes up with a kernal error on the screen. It'll say something like:

System failure (corrupt stack or unaligned stack)
cpu=0
code=00000007
etc.

My main drive is pretty filled up, and when I try to use iDefrag or even the system tools disc I received with my Applecare plan (TechTools 3.0.2), it tends to freeze on the main drive. But would a scattered main drive affect the exporting process? It didn't before. And I'm exporting the MPEG-2 to another drive, so would it even affect it?

I've tried this with a couple different sequences, so it isn't the footage in any one sequence. And like I said, it crashes at a different point each time.

Does this system error come up because of something specific, or does it basically mean I need to somehow defragment it? Does this make sense to anyone?

Thanks-

Ken

PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver)
Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: MPEG-2 encoding problem
on Aug 25, 2005 at 11:30:14 pm

Hmm

Return to posts index

daniel_l
on Aug 26, 2005 at 3:44:16 pm

Don't bother with cleaner for MPEG encoding. It's slower than the slowest thing you can think of, and it's a dead product, discreet/autodesk haven't updated it in years.

Return to posts index

Kennon Shain
on Aug 26, 2005 at 6:38:49 pm

Thanks guys-

Yeah, I actually found a work-around by exporting within FCP using Compressor ('Export with Compressor' option). I had never tried this, but it actually worked. I'll have to check how much space is free-its a 80 GB drive, and I think I have like 4 gigs available, so I should try to free up more space.

I have repaired my permissions many times on my main drive, and every time I do it, it still finds errors. It says it fixes it each time, but it keeps coming up. Like I said, my main drive is pretty scattered. Any good programs to defragment it?

Thanks-

Ken

Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

footagehead
on Sep 14, 2005 at 12:49:53 pm

My thoughts are that your primary drive is getting real close to falling
over - I own a quicksilver of your vintage as well and mine went 3 months ago...
Besides you'll get better performance out of a western digital 8 mb cache 7200 RPM drive - my pick for reliability. Then in 3 years it will go as well...

Return to posts index

Kennon Shain
on Sep 16, 2005 at 5:52:09 am

I guess a new main hard drive could be the way to go-how much work is the transfer over from the old hard drive? I've always stayed away from replacing it, assuming the process is probably time-consuming and complicated. But more space would be nice, and internal hard drives are pretty cheap.

You don't think the right software could defragment the drive correctly? Did you try with yours, or did it just crash on you?

Thanks-

Ken

Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]