FORUMS: list search recent posts

I can't divices connected via firewire

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Hennessey
I can't divices connected via firewire
on Aug 15, 2005 at 6:45:48 pm

I have a G4 running 10.3.9 and suddenly I can't see any of my firewire devices. I tried taking out the hub and connecting directly to the Mac and still have nothing. I tried both ports on the Mac and new cables with out success. Everything was working fine on Friday and nothing has changed. Any one have any trouble shooting tips?

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: I can't divices connected via firewire
on Aug 15, 2005 at 9:08:27 pm

Hi Mike, here's a couple of things to try (OK, a bunch of things):

1 Unplug any other peripherals or attached devices (including internal PCI cards)

2 If the device requires external power, make sure it is plugged
in to a working power outlet and all connectors are securely plugged in. Also, make sure the device is started and running (give it a few seconds to spin up) before plugging it into your Mac.

3 Check that the FireWire device is listed in Apple System
Profiler (the ports are likely good if you see you device listed)

4 Check the FireWire device documentation to see if additional
drivers are required. If so, reinstall them with the latest versions. Also, check for any Firmware updates available for your device (very important).

5 Check for broken pins, dust, dirt, or wear on both FireWire
cable connectors, the device FireWire port, and the computer
FireWire port.

6 Connect the FireWire device to another FireWire port on another
computer (if possible) to confirm its working.

7. Try plugging in a Firewire cable between it another computer, then start the second computer up in Target Disk Mode.

8. Try starting up off of a different (known good) drive or cd/dvd to eliminate any possible software issues.

9. Try shutting down your Mac, unplugging it, waiting 5 seconds or so and then plug it back in and restart.

10. Try resetting the PMU (instructions for Power Mac G4 AGP Graphics/Gigabit Ethernet):

Shutdown and unplug your Mac (wait for it to cool-down so you won't burn yourself on any hot parts)

Press the PMU reset switch (S1) once on the logic board. Do not press the PMU reset switch a second time because it could stop the PMU chip from responding (crash the PMU). ( PMU location - http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95035 )

Wait ten seconds before connecting the power cord and turning the computer on.

Some of these are official Apple solutions, while others are things I've seen work over the years. If none of them work or point you to a solution, then you may have a bad logic board and you'll need to take it to an Apple authorized service center for repair.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Mike Hennessey
Re: I can't divices connected via firewire
on Aug 16, 2005 at 2:23:06 pm

That did the trick. Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]