FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG Revisited

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grafur
MPEG Revisited
on Aug 13, 2005 at 1:22:57 pm

Will a MAC play a CD-Rom with a MPEG1 video/audio file? Do all MAC computers have the QuickTime player usually in them?
Grafur

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: MPEG Revisited
on Aug 13, 2005 at 11:07:20 pm

I think this will answer your question, but if you need more info go to the Quicktime website and search for specific questions/answers http://www.apple.com/quicktime/player/:

QuickTime 5, 6, and 7 include the following:

MPEG-1 playback, both local and streaming on Macintosh and Windows computers
Layer 1 and 2 audio support
Support for RTP packing for streaming (RFC 2250)
Support for elementary and muxed streams
Enabling of frame-accurate access and effects compositing
The optional QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component requires QuickTime 6 or QuickTime 7. It will work with or without QuickTime Pro.

The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component provides QuickTime 6 and 7 users with the ability to import and play back MPEG-2 content, including both multiplexed (a.k.a muxed, where the audio and video tracks have are interleaved together into one track) and non-multiplexed (a.k.a. elementary) streams.

It is not possible to export the audio portion of a muxed MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 audio/video stream using QuickTime. For editing purposes, the entire MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 stream is treated as a single sample. You may create edit lists to display parts of the stream in the usual way, but if you flatten the movie data, the entire stream is saved, not just the parts displayed in the movie.

You cannot perform editing functions such as Cut, Copy, Paste, Add, and Add Scaled with MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 media using QuickTime Player, whether or not you have upgraded to QuickTime Pro.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Grafur
on Aug 13, 2005 at 11:46:15 pm

Thank you Tony.
Say I have a CD with an .mpg file on it. Using your words, please write the instructions on how to locate that file from the time the CD is inserted in the CD player untill it hopefully plays. I don't know the correct terminology to explain it to a Apple user. If .pdf and .html files are also on this CD, are they available on a MAC? I know I am asking ignorant questions, I need the education.
Thanks again,
Grafur

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Aug 14, 2005 at 12:21:43 am

[Grafur] "Say I have a CD with an .mpg file on it. Using your words, please write the instructions on how to locate that file from the time the CD is inserted in the CD player untill it hopefully plays. I don't know the correct terminology to explain it to a Apple user."

When you insert the CD into a Mac, it will just show up on the DeskTop and on the left side of any open window. You just open it by clicking on it to view its contents (like a PC). You can see all the files and folders on the disk and select any one to play. Usually, all you have to do is to double click on the file to open it in Quicktime and play it. You can also drag it to the Quicktime application icon to open and play it.

If they are using OS X (most are now), then you can actually see the video and play it without opening it, assuming they are in Column View and not Icon or List view in their windows (a very nice feature).

As far as performance goes, its always a good idea to copy files, especially video, to the hard drive before playing. However, it will work either way.

[Grafur] "If .pdf and .html files are also on this CD, are they available on a MAC? I know I am asking ignorant questions, I need the education."

Of course. They'll see them and can double click on them to open. No third party software is needed for any of this.

Now if you want to add some sort of interface to your CD's, instead of just files, then you will need some software to build it. Last time I did that I used Macromedia Director. But I'm sure there are much simpler/easier/cheaper applications you can get to satisfy your needs. Again I suggest asking specific questions on some of the other Cow forum's (like the Premiere forum) They would be more likely to have experience and easy solutions for you.

I hope that helps a little,

Tony!

Return to posts index

daniel_l
on Aug 15, 2005 at 1:13:07 pm

BTW - it's Mac, (for Macintosh) not MAC which stands for 'Media Access Control address', a network protocol.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]