FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macintosh Screen Capture

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
StaffRWT
Macintosh Screen Capture
on Aug 12, 2005 at 4:09:12 pm

I am trying to create a software training video using on a Macintosh. I am using the screen capture software Snapz Pro X, but the problem is that after I record each video, it takes several minutes to process. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can speed this process up? I have a 400 MHz G4 PowerPC with 1.5 GB Memory and I am running Mac OS X 10.3.9.

Return to posts index

Tony!
Re: Macintosh Screen Capture
on Aug 13, 2005 at 11:49:36 pm

I hate to say it, but you need a faster Mac (bottom-line). I guess you could shoot your screen with a DV video camera, but that would be more expensive than upgrading your Mac if you don't already have the equipment. Try to keep as few applications open as possible. Capture to your fastest hard drive, make sure you have plenty of room on it and your startup drive. If you can lower the quality/compression settings of the video your are capturing that would help (I haven't used Snapz in awhile now, so I'm not sure what the current options are). If you can capture with no compression, it would be fastest, but if you need a compressed codec, then its going to take awhile. If you have a choice, try a different codec or different capture settings to compare.

Tony!

Return to posts index

StaffRWT
on Aug 15, 2005 at 2:33:20 pm

That's what I was afraid of. What specs would you recommend for the new macintosh? What kind of processor speed should I be looking for?

Return to posts index

Tony!
on Aug 15, 2005 at 8:12:19 pm

It depends on what capture settings/codec's you are trying to capture to. Your best bet it to talk to the Ambrosia directly about what they recommend computer/hardware-wise for what you are attempting. Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd want at least a G5 Dual 2 GHZ. You'll want to install a second (fast) SATA drive to capture your video clips to and a faster graphics card like an ATI x800/x850 or nVidia 6800. You can probably find a refurb or used one for a reasonable price? Amborosia knows their products requirements best, so speak to them and buy something at least two or three steps better than what they say is the minimum recommended system.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

Tony!

Return to posts index

StaffRWT
on Aug 15, 2005 at 8:34:56 pm

Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]