FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I get a hard drive directory list of all data on HD under OSX Tiger??

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
iamfoxman
How do I get a hard drive directory list of all data on HD under OSX Tiger??
on Jul 26, 2005 at 10:12:02 pm

Help- have a huge amount of data on ~3 Terabites of hard drives & I need to list all of the data on each one of them to keep track of my files... Newbee on mac- Help!!!

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: How do I get a hard drive directory list of all data on HD under OSX Tiger??
on Jul 29, 2005 at 12:42:05 am

What information do you want off of those Hard Drives? Just file paths and names?

Return to posts index

iamfoxman
Re: How do I get a hard drive directory list of all data on HD under OSX Tiger??
on Jul 29, 2005 at 8:03:14 pm

Yes- drive/folder/file name in some type of text file. Need to be able to re-organize data after I have the text list to sort in several ways.

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Aug 3, 2005 at 11:51:05 pm

Do you know UNIX at all? Using the ls command you can output the paths and files of everything on a drive really easily to a text file. As for ordering the data... if you get familiar with grep or maybe a text tool, you can "extract" lines out of that file that you need.

But getting the paths and names into a file is pretty easy.

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Aug 5, 2005 at 12:06:04 am

I never heard back from you but maybe others would want to know...
Open the terminal.
Type the following:
cd /Volumes

This will change directories (cd) to the directory that lists all volumes on your machine
then type:
ls

This will list (ls) everything in the Volumes folder. You will then change directory again (cd) to the volume you want to index (if the volume has spaces in the name, type the first couple of letters of the volume name and then tab to autocomplete):
cd volume_name

Check to make sure that this looks right:
ls

Next, we will run the code to put everything on that disk into a text file:
ls -FR > /Users/yourusername/Desktop/filename.txt

This tells the list to put in paths and search through all directories and then output it > to the filename you specify on your desktop. Let me know if you need anything more complicated than this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]