FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software Updates and Apps no longer work

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Smith
Software Updates and Apps no longer work
on Jul 18, 2005 at 5:43:11 pm

Hiya folks
I just got back from a 2 week much needed vacation and got a great welcome back.....Here's my problem(s).

While I was gone my edit computer was updated with the security patches/itunes/etc and now I'm learning....Quicktime 7. None of the updated software works and most importantly...FCP. I tried reinstalling Quicktime 6.5 but nothing seems to work. All I get when I try to open FCP or any Quicktime files is the spinning beach ball of doom. I'm running 10.3.9 and while all my Adobe stuff works it seems it's just the software that was updated, in particular FCP/Quicktime/Itunes.

I'm no wiz what-so-ever with OS X and I could really use some suggestions. If I need to reinstall things I don't know how to save my settings with FCP, nor the process to truely uninstall anything on the mac. The intern thought he was helping but I'm ready to wring his neck.

Any ideas??

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Software Updates and Apps no longer work
on Jul 18, 2005 at 8:09:37 pm

Well, I can at least help with Final Cut prefrences.

Do you have FCP 5 yet?

If so, download this program:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/fcprescue.html

It's a simple script program that takes your prefrences and backs them up. If they ever get corupted you can use this to restore the old ones. It's pretty handy for everyday use but it sounds like it can help you here too. Download that and open it. Back up your prefrences, then, after you re-load Final Cut, go into it and restore them.

(If you're using FCP 4.5 you'll need the last version of their program. I can't find it right now but search in the Final Cut room or ask them there.)

As for un-installing, just erase the program out of the Application folder. Then search the hard drive for "Final Cut" (or whatever program it is) and erase any other folders you find with that name. Then re-install everything and do the updates again.

Run Disc Utility and repair permissions after you've re-installed but BEFORE you do the downloads. Then run it again after everything's done.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Smith
on Jul 18, 2005 at 8:45:15 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll do that next. I'm using 4.5 atm and the more I look the more it seems aloooooooooot of people are having this problem. i'll cross my fingers that this works.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Smith
on Jul 19, 2005 at 4:04:43 pm

Just a heads up for future folks who have this problem. I finally got it working again.

After working most of yesterday on his I found out a few things. Alot of people are having the same problem. It seemes to be related to the Digidesign Core Audio Manager not working with the latest quicktime release.....at least that's the initial finding. There's something really funky with the latest updates. I worked around my problem by reverting Quicktime to 6.5 using a little installer called Pacifist. Apparently QT 6.5 reverter doesn't get everything. And I also deleted all my Digidesign stuff. We have a Digi001 that "used" to be installed on this machine. Itunes was also wiped and reinstalled. Everything finally works the way it used to and I have now also taken the opportunity to back everything up the way it should have been.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]