FORUMS: list search recent posts

OS10.3.9 jeff carpenter

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joshua
OS10.3.9 jeff carpenter
on Jul 16, 2005 at 8:00:16 pm

other people can answer this too; but jeff, unfortunately i decided not to take your advice and i installed 10.3.0 over my 10.2.8 without striking the hard drive first. then i upgraded on-line to 10.3.9, because i couldn't run Final Cut HD on 10.3.0.
i ended up with a weird problem in capturing in Final Cut.
i'd like to try re-installing because it seems to be a software problem that got screwed up in the upgrading process. this time i'll strike the drive. will the computer have any memory of this? or is it a clean slate once i strike the drive?
thanks for your advice,

josh

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: OS10.3.9 jeff carpenter
on Jul 18, 2005 at 4:41:41 am

When you restart the computer holding the "C" key with the OSX CD in the drive you'll get the OSX installation screen. Before you actually run it, you can find the "Disc Utility" in the pull-down menus.

If you run it from the CD (instead of finding it in the "Applications" folder) and erase the drive entirely from there, I can promise you that NO data will survive. That shold take care of any problems you're having!

Once you get it up and running, I'd use the System Update to load any software it can find, then install all your programs and then run the update AGAIN. Each time you run it, check it again. Do it until you see nothing left in there.

Remember as you re-install everything (and run the updates) to stop every now and then and 'repair permissons' using the Disc Utility. You can run it from the 'Applications/Utilities' folder between updates, but once you've finished everything, I'd run it off the CD one last time to finish things up.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

joshua
on Jul 18, 2005 at 1:35:19 pm

thanks very much jeff. just to make sure, i'm erasing the drive using the disc utility on the CD, right? and the only other part i was a little unclear about was you said to run it off the CD once everything's done. so you're saying at the end to run 'repair permissions' using the disc utility in the CD once i've updated and re-installed everything, right? just want to make sure, josh

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Jul 18, 2005 at 2:46:32 pm

Yup, everything you said is correct!

Once you're done running permissions repair off the CD you can just quit the installation and it will re-start the computer. Doing it that way allows the repair to check EVERY part of the hard drive. If you're running it while OSX is running there might be some parts it can't see. You don't have to run it that way every single time, but I think it's a good idea to end with it after making so many changes to a system.

Return to posts index

joshua
on Jul 18, 2005 at 3:02:34 pm

sweet! i'll try it out, josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]