Backing up Mail/Address book/Safari bookmarks/iCal

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
iMan
Backing up Mail/Address book/Safari bookmarks/iCal
by
on Jul 11, 2005 at 10:08:23 am

Hi all

I now have a ton of bookmarked sites in Safari, tons of email folders in Mail and loads off addresses and contacts in Address Book. I also have lot's filled out in iCal.

Question:

I want to back up my Safari bookmarks/Email folders/Address book/iCal details on a regular basis.

How do I do this, which folders/prefes etc from where do I need to back up?

Also, is there an easy way to do this each month, maybe automated?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Backing up Mail/Address book/Safari bookmarks/iCal
on Jul 11, 2005 at 1:09:10 pm

[SYSTEM DRIVE]>USERS>[ACCOUNT NAME]>LIBRARY

If you back up that folder, it should contain everything you need. If you want, you can go in and probably find each folder you need, but you can just backup the whole Library to be safe.

The folder [SYSTEM DRIVE]>LIBRARY contains settings that are system-wide, so you may want to back that up too, although things like Safari bookmarks or Address Book names are in the [ACCOUNT NAME] Library. Remember that things like your iTunes and iPhoto playlists are not in that folder. They're in the other folders in your [ACCOUNT NAME] folder.

If you want to spend $99 for a .Mac account, it comes with a backup utility that stores your files on a server somewhere else. The nice thing about that is that it allows you to select the things you're talking about from a checklist. Very simple.

http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_backup.html

There are probably other programs you can buy that do this too, although I don't know any since I just burn backup discs manually.

Return to posts index

iMan
Re: Backing up Mail/Address book/Safari bookmarks/iCal
by
on Jul 11, 2005 at 1:32:56 pm

The .Mac thing sounds good, but it all boils down to broadband speed and it would be too much for me. I'll stick with dragging those files onto a flash card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]