FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac OSX 10.4.1 Frustrations!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Carey
Mac OSX 10.4.1 Frustrations!
on Jul 7, 2005 at 4:58:14 pm

Networking STILL doesn't work correctly! My office uses a Windows based network system and I edit tv programs on a Mac. Well... Mac is supposed to be able to talk with Windows machines thru its networking, but it only works on occassions and now is not one of those occassions. I have to use email to transfer files because of this crap! I'm very tired of this!

Apple... If you are reading this, please learn how to properly fix this problem that has been going on for years. I'm still getting the error that I do not have sufficent priviledges to copy files to a Windows computer and if I try to access the Mac from the Windows computer, all I get access to is my login name (home). I need to access all of the computer when I ask for it, not my Home area.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Mac OSX 10.4.1 Frustrations!
on Jul 7, 2005 at 5:30:48 pm

hello...

i understand your frustration, but i would counter that networking isn't really broken at all - i have networked os x and windows here since the early days without any problems. by default, os x has limited the samba configuration to only connect to the user's home drive, but it's not really a limitation, more just a conscious decision for security and other reasons. you can set up shares in samba (the networking connect tool underneath in os x) by hand that will allow you access to anywhere on the box (if you have permissions), or a tool like this might help:

http://xamba.sourceforge.net/ssp/index.shtml

(no guarantees on that, btw - just a link)

but think about it - you're on a pc network with a bunch of other computers. do you want any user with that account to have full access to your box? in traditional unix networking, you are rather limited by default so that when you connect, you can't screw up the system. if you give out full access to your entire box to remote users, then you are opening up a real security hole that typical networking configurations don't allow. but if you limit them to their home dir, then you control where they go and what they see, which is always much preferred in my book. if you're in a trusted network, then either os x server or the above tool can help remove that layer of security...

as for the pc, if you are connecting from the mac and getting permissions issues, that is likely not on the mac end...are you able to get at the same files with the same account from another pc on the network? if so, then it could also be workgroup configuration issues or the likes...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Jul 7, 2005 at 8:38:16 pm

Wayne,
I understand that it's very fursterating when something won't work, when you know it should!!

Curtis is correct though, it's not the Mac or Apple in general. We've been running both platforms for 1 1/2years, with very little problems. I need to talk between Macs and Windows-both ways and find it quite easy to set up.
It sounds like you're not getting great supporrt from the Windows side.
Maybe if you posted with a specific question, you could get the answers you need.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

David Rowan
on Jul 12, 2005 at 5:39:55 pm

I cant get my Mac to talk to all the PC's around here, but its just because the security net on the PC's is so I tight I cant figure out how to log into them. Eh, why bother.

I got myself one of those little "Pen drives" or "Pocket drives". Plug it in the USB of the PC and copy my file, walk over to the Mac plug it in and Voila! Its even faster than using the LAN, anyway (compared to the Mac to Mac transfers I do). I use a 264MB Jumpdrive that lives on my keychain. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good sale on a 1Gig.

DWR

Return to posts index

Underbelly
on Jul 13, 2005 at 10:18:20 pm

I am not an tech guy but a graphics guy but do use a mac on a PC network and our IT guys have it running wonderfully. I don't think cursing Apple for problems which you don't usderstand if fair. If you are working for a large company have them get someone in there who knows what the heck they are doing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]