FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting multiple computers to RoadRunner Cable Modem

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shannon brame
Connecting multiple computers to RoadRunner Cable Modem
on Jun 25, 2005 at 9:47:56 pm

I have a Mac G4 with OS X, and SMC router and road runner cable modem. If I connect the G4 to the hub first, I get web access on the G4. If I connect either Linux or Winodws PC to the hub first, I get web access on either of them but none on the G4. I know there is a way to connect all three to the hub, but can't find the secret in goggle searches.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Connecting multiple computers to RoadRunner Cable Modem
on Jun 26, 2005 at 12:53:35 am

hello...

i'd guess that maybe it's some sort of issue related to the boxes having the same ip given to them when they are plugged in - so the first one plugged in gets the only available ip and then when the others get plugged in they have no ip to use...

it's really hard to say, though, with the info you provided - not really your fault, but there's a lot more that would go into troubleshooting that can't be determined here...

do you have a dhcp server somewhere in the line? and are all your boxes set up to request an address when they get plugged in?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chris Mackenzie
Re: Connecting multiple computers to RoadRunner Cable Modem
on Jun 26, 2005 at 6:37:35 am

Couple of questions because it sounds like you have the Cable Modem plugged into the uplink port instead of the Internet/WAN port.

What IP address does you computer get when plugged into the hub/router? If it is either 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x then things are working right but my guess is that you are using the router as a hub instead of a rounter so check to make sure the modem is plugged into the Internet/WAN port.

Post more about your setup if that does not help.

Aloha.,

-Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]