FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tiger / I can no longer use Windows Sharing

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Babbitt
Tiger / I can no longer use Windows Sharing
on Jun 21, 2005 at 4:21:36 pm

Tiger has added the need to enable an account before being allowed to use Windows Sharing. To do so, you must enter your password. No big deal, except that it keeps telling me that my password is incorrect. It's the same password I've had since day one, and it's working everywhere else I use it, such as when loading programs, and I only have one account on the machine. So, where am I going wrong? I've tried repairing permissions and re-booting.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Tiger / I can no longer use Windows Sharing
on Jun 21, 2005 at 5:57:20 pm

hello...

it's almost impossible to say with the information at hand, but repairing your permissions and the sorts won't help a windows box connect to you (repairing permissions has become the "zap your pram" of os x - everybody does it for everything and while it will help some things, it won't help a lot of others)...

i would guess that you either have something as simple as your username incorrect in your windows dialog when you are mapping the drive or that some other connection param is not set - did you enable the account in question to be used via windows file sharing in the sharing control panel?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 21, 2005 at 11:50:12 pm

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. It won't accept my password. I checked the Apple Discussion Forum and counted four other people with the same problem, but no replies. It has nothing to do with my windows machine. My Mac will not let me enable my account in the Sharing panel, because it says that the password I'm entering is wrong. I've tried many times. The password works for logging on, so why shouldn't it work for enabling my sharing account?

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Jun 22, 2005 at 12:27:13 am

hello...

hmm - maybe your account isn't an admin account? just guessing at this point - that could explain why you could log in but not make system-level changes...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Jun 22, 2005 at 6:06:23 am

I am the administrator and also the only account. My password works for everything else except this. I don't understand how Keychain works, but I noticed that" System" is locked, so I unlocked it and my password still wasn't recognized by Windows Sharing.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Solved!
on Jun 22, 2005 at 2:27:40 pm

I reset my password. I used the same password, but just the act of doing so did the trick. Go figure!

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Solved!
on Jun 22, 2005 at 3:24:10 pm

hey good deal! i just ran across that answer on the net as i saw your solved post - makes no sense at all... :-/

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]