FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intel to be used in Laptops 1st...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Pallenberg
Intel to be used in Laptops 1st...
on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:27:23 am

Just got back from a small gathering of editors / post-house people and 1 Apple guy, he said more than once that the 1st Apple computer to use the Intel chip will be a laptop. Don't know if that is common knowledge, or if the guy knew what he was talking about, but he sure was convinced. He doubted that a machine powerful enough for the people who were there would ship till june 2007... assuming the date does not slip (LOL, as if that won't happen).

I know Steve Jobs said it would be the iBook, iMac line to move up 1st, but this guy seemed to think that ALL the mobile computers would go Intel at once...

He also said (as did another person who was there) that playing on a PC with OSX installed was odd, but fairly fast.

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.3.6

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
Re: Intel to be used in Laptops 1st...
on Jun 17, 2005 at 3:54:19 pm

Hi Harry,
I've read so many post here at the cow and on the web that I can't keep them straight. But that's the same thing that I hear.
As it's been describe, the laptops need it the most, so they'll be the first. Also, the big thing, Intel doesn't have the 64chips yet so the rest of the line will be first until Intel can add them to the desktops, by 2007. As Jeff says, Apple doesn't want to drop the RAM back down with a 32bit chip. So they'll wait. Since the laptops and Mini's don't use 64bit chip (yet), Apple can push them out first. That gives Apple/Intel enough time to make and test the 64bit chips, before bringing them to the market.
So just from a technology stand point, one can see the road map for Apple/Intel.

FWIW

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: Intel to be used in Laptops 1st...
on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:09:55 pm

It makes sense too. The Intel mobile is really energy efficient for its power. The G5 is nothing to laugh at, but I doubt IBM is going to put much effort into improving the G5 now... hopefully they will and the PowerMac line will continue to be a viable platform.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]