FORUMS: list search recent posts

File renaming

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Cochran
File renaming
on Jun 17, 2005 at 3:29:06 am

Hi,

I have a problem with the computer renaming my files. I will save a file out of any program. Name it, navigate thru the save menu to the location that I want to save it. It will change the name.
It seems that it will pick a file name from say the desktop, or one of the other locations I navigate thru, and applies the name to the file I'm saving. For instances, "Background.mov" will become "Invoice.doc"

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Jeff Cochran

http://www.jeffcochrandigitalartist.com/

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: File renaming
on Jun 17, 2005 at 3:57:35 pm

hello...

that's not normal at all. are you sure you're not somehow clicking in the finder view area in the save dialog and accidently pre-choosing another file name? since 10.2 (thankfully), the save dialog will let you click on a greyed out file name to transfer its name to your current save dialog file name so that you can save over an existing file or use it's name as a starting point for your new file...

that's the only thing i can think of, as i have never seen a computer (os x or not) just randomly choose a different file name for something i'm saving...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:04:45 pm

That happens to me all the time. The problem is that the column view doesn't show you clearly that you are IN the folder you want to save to, so you naturally click in the column with file names to make sure. It is BAD UI design, but not a technical bug. Really, OS X has lots of similar "state" problems like there isn't enough contrast between the frontmost, active window and lower screens. Working with 2 monitors I constantly mistake one application as active, start typing, and realize that my work is being done in another window!

Return to posts index

Jeff Cochran
on Jun 17, 2005 at 8:21:04 pm

So, the answer is I have to be more carefull when saving my files.

Thanks for the response guys.

Jeff Cochran

http://www.jeffcochrandigitalartist.com/

Return to posts index

craig moss
on Jun 18, 2005 at 11:07:41 am

I think Apple's designs its UI to be as clean and uncluttered as possible, perhaps, at times, at the expense of intuitiveness. The save dialog box works almost identically to finder window navigation in general. Each parent folder is highlighted. The folder that the file will be saved in is the rightmost column. In the save dialog box, directly above the columns (in a separate pull down menu) is the parent folder in which the file will be saved. What I find unintuitive is why clicking on a grayed out name would actively do anything. Grayed out has always meant

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Jun 20, 2005 at 9:39:22 pm

The windows issue, there are many ways to handle it, and OS 9 did a better job of it. But there are many places to read about UI ideas... so I won't rant any longer! asktog.com is one...

Return to posts index

Craig Moss
on Jun 21, 2005 at 3:46:54 am

Interesting site. Reminds me of some of Raskin's comments. I agree that all icons should be complemented by words. Both/And not either/or. Apple, in general, will err on the side of looks over function even with hardware--one button mouse, no ports on the front of towers, etc. But I do think the designers did put a great deal of thought into their interface even when they get it wrong. Understanding their logic can be helpful.

OSX 10.3.8; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]