FORUMS: list search recent posts

nearly ready to get the new Final Cut Suite.... just need to do a clean install of OS10.4

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd George
nearly ready to get the new Final Cut Suite.... just need to do a clean install of OS10.4
on Jun 14, 2005 at 2:34:36 pm

Hello all

I am an FCP zealot from the dark ages of 1.5 so forgive my dark ages mindset

I still believe the best way to optimize a system for video editing is to do a clean install of the OS from the get go, so every year when Apple announces yet another upgrade to the FInal Cut Pro line I get excited but quickly realize it means a clean install (aka a wasted Saturday)

when that was until OSX things got faster with each improvement to the OS

anyway I feel the need to wipe the hard drive clean so before I do I need to know where do I look for things like my addresses, and widgets ( I realize the widgets are free but if I don't have to down load them again then that's another afternoon saved)

by the way I have installed OS4x on both my machines already but FC suite requires so much space and I have the academic version so no true upgrade for me which is why I think the clean install is best

take care

Todd George

G5 powermac 1.8ghz with 1.5 gigs o ram
G4 Powerbook 1.5ghz with 1 gig o ram
os4.1
and all the video editing trimmings (FCP4.5, dvdsp3x, motion1x, etc)

Todd George
Instructional Media Services
John Carroll University
University Heights, OH 44118

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
Re: nearly ready to get the new Final Cut Suite.... just need to do a clean install of OS10.4
on Jun 14, 2005 at 4:56:54 pm

[Todd George] "by the way I have installed OS4x on both my machines already but FC suite requires so much space and I have the academic version so no true upgrade for me which is why I think the clean install is best
"

I understood everything, until that? 'not a true upgrade?'
The academic versions behaves no different than the consumer versions.

I'm sure you'll find some different opitions on what is the best way to optimize a Mac system. We usually end up doing clean install about every year, although my system has everything on it and I don't do a clean install unless I have to. My system is very stable.

Most of the info you'll want to keep, bookmarks, pref, etc. are located in your 'home' directory, in your library folder. (safari, explorer, etc)
For downloads, I usually try to keep a backup of the dowloaded file, not the app. THis way you know it will install into the correct location, with all of the components and you save time by not having to download the file again.

We running FCP 4.5 on Mac 2.5 dual, but were still on 10.3, not tiger.
I wasn't really sure if you are upgrading to Tiger??
If so, it would be my recommendation to do a clean install, just because your Mac is a little older. When we upgrade next month, we probably won't do a clean install, but some of our computers are only a couple months old.

Good Luck

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]