FORUMS: list search recent posts

IE5 better than Safari

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gribble
IE5 better than Safari
on Jun 14, 2005 at 11:16:54 am

I know the interface is great etc. etc. but it just won't refresh like IE5 when I am designing and testing websites. The Reload button simply doesn't work! But ctr+Refresh Page always does the trick for me in IE5...unless there is a secret refresh page command hidden somewhere in Safari...and I do know the mighty Microsoft is ceasing development on a Mac browser...

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
Re: IE5 better than Safari
on Jun 15, 2005 at 2:14:38 am

Very amusing... thanks for the laugh. Safari is blazingly fast... IE is a toad. The reload buton has never failed to work for us. Of course we didn't even talk about the security issues with IE...

still laughing... thanks I needed that...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Solie Swan
on Jun 15, 2005 at 8:01:46 pm

Under Tiger, Safari constantly crashes my laptop and I have to do a hard reboot. A switch to Firefox has taken care of it. It is a much safer and more advanced alternative to IE5!

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 15, 2005 at 8:07:26 pm

[Solie Swan] "Under Tiger, Safari constantly crashes my laptop and I have to do a hard reboot. A switch to Firefox has taken care of it. It is a much safer and more advanced alternative to IE5!"

So how do you explain all of us that never have crashes with Safari und Tiger, panther? I'm writing this to you on a laptop with Tiger and Safari...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 15, 2005 at 8:09:10 pm

[Solie Swan] "It is a much safer and more advanced alternative to IE5!"

Forgot to add: you are apparently unaware of the three serious security breaches which occurred in Firefox recently? This is at the admission of the developers of Firefox, who had to rush out patches, once the seriousness of the problem went public.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Solie Swan
on Jun 15, 2005 at 8:57:24 pm

Mitch

I have nothing to say to those who are using it successfully - I am happy that it is working for you and others. For me it is not and switching to Firefox has fixed the problem.
Firefox has had vulnerablities but it is certainly safer than IE5. I may be wrong but I think that Safari has had vulneralbities too that get fixed with security updates and point upgrades to the OS.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 15, 2005 at 9:58:11 pm

[Solie Swan] "I have nothing to say to those who are using it successfully - I am happy that it is working for you and others. For me it is not and switching to Firefox has fixed the problem.

It might be worth fixing the problem as Safari is faster, and it's good to have an alternative for different sites...

[Solie Swan] "Firefox has had vulnerablities but it is certainly safer than IE5.

I'd agree. I have it in second position.

[Solie Swan] "I may be wrong but I think that Safari has had vulneralbities too that get fixed with security updates and point upgrades to the OS."

Yes, but nothing as serious as Firefox or IE...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Solie Swan
on Jun 15, 2005 at 11:10:20 pm

Every day I check to see if there is an apple update - it is no fun having to recreate all my bookmarks in FF. So far I have tried everything possible including a reinstall of 10.4.1 but to no avail. It crashes most often when opening up the laptop from sleep and Safari was open. It ocassionally happen though at random times for no apparent reason. Other attempted solutions include deleting the preferences for Safari, repairing permissions, deleting the Safari icons and running cron scripts and using Tiger Cache Cleaner's cleaning routines to remove any caches that may be causing proplems. I am open to any other suggestions.

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Jun 16, 2005 at 1:44:09 pm

Hi guys:

Well I agree with Mitch that IE sucks, Safari is fast but can be a bit flacky at times as well , so you know what I use Firefox.

It put both IE and Safari to shame. you guys should try it, much easier to deal with as well.

Nigel

Return to posts index

gribble
on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:00:40 am

Wow! Talk about light the fuse and stand back!
Some strong views in here. Still can't get Safari to refresh like IE -seems reload is not the same as refresh. As per your suggestions, will try Firefox and maybe Opera?
Don't get me wrong - my default browser is Safari for surfing and I am certainly not a fan of Microsoft software (by and large anyway).
Thanks for your frank discussion...

As a thought - is anyone developing a Mac emulator for Windows as per Virtual PC?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]