FORUMS: list search recent posts

OSX on intel chips 64bit?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff
OSX on intel chips 64bit?
by
on Jun 10, 2005 at 4:10:01 am

I know this is premature to be asking but I haven't heard anything about it in the news - is it possible that they will put 32bit chips in the new desktops? I think I saw on the demo Jobs did it was a Pentium chip, which is 32bit right?

jeff.:

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: OSX on intel chips 64bit?
on Jun 10, 2005 at 4:14:37 am

The demo was, yes, and next June (2006) we'll probably see 32-bit intel chips show up in the Mac Mini and laptops which are all currently 32-bit anyway. So no change there.

But remember, it will likely be January of 2007 before we see an Intel Powermac. I'm not too good at knowing what types of chips will be out in 18 months, but I'd say it's a pretty good bet Intel will be working in the 64-bit world by then. That's just a bet, but I'd say it's a safe bet, wouldn't you?

(Besides, Apple would have to offer less RAM in the Powermacs if they stepped down. I don't see that as being a good marketing idea so I doubt it'll happen. As I said, they've got LOTS of time to come up with something.)

Return to posts index

ric marty
on Jun 11, 2005 at 2:28:43 am

By early 2006 intel will be presenting a dual core hyperthreaded xeon which will be the equivalent of 8 cpu under the hood. If you got the money you will be able to purchas a quad dual core hyperthreaded xeon. Which makes a nice 16 cpu's under the hood.

No wonder apple jumped ship.

ric

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Jun 10, 2005 at 5:10:41 pm

Arstechnica's Hannibal has a pretty good handle on the future of Intel chips and guesses as to where Apple will fit in:
http://arstechnica.com/columns/mac/mac-20050608.ars

Return to posts index

Jeff
by
on Jun 11, 2005 at 7:32:19 pm

Good info folks, thanks - now I have to decide whether my dual 2gig will last another year and a half!

jeff.:

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 15, 2005 at 3:11:47 pm

Hate to be contradictory but the demo was on a P4 660 which according to Intel is a 64 bit chip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]