FORUMS: list search recent posts

password protection

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig moss
password protection
on Jun 9, 2005 at 11:51:49 pm

Can i password protect a folder in 10.3.8?

OSX 10.2.3; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: password protection
on Jun 10, 2005 at 5:37:04 am

hello...

not by default, but you could try something like this:

http://www.securemac.com/ppf.php

although don't consider this link an endorsement of this specific applescript - never used it before...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Jun 10, 2005 at 5:13:12 pm

It depends on what you mean by Password protect. Do you mean that a user has to enter a password, regardless of security permissions in order to look into that folder? If so, the answer is no. What a lot of people, including myself, do is make a disk image (mine is only 10MB) and encrypt it with a password. I have it in a folder and store all of my passwords on it. To open the disk and mount it on the desktop, you have to know the password. It encrypts with AES-256 I believe... don't remember anymore...

Return to posts index

craig moss
on Jun 10, 2005 at 11:57:42 pm

Mac Help mentions something about being able to password protect shared folders. Maybe it means over a network. I would just like to not have to log out all the time and feel safe that my 6 year old won't mess with certain folders.

OSX 10.2.3; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Jun 13, 2005 at 5:19:29 pm

If your concern is your kid, then why not just "Lock" your computer when you leave using the screen saver and setting your kids up with their own account? Using fast user switching they can just come up and do their own thing and you can restrict what they can do pretty easily... especially with Tiger.

Return to posts index

craig moss
on Jun 13, 2005 at 11:19:30 pm

Absolutely if i was on tiger. But I'm at 10.3.9 and logging in and out is not so quick.

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on Jun 11, 2005 at 6:22:22 am

[Mark Sloan] "I have it in a folder and store all of my passwords on it. To open the disk and mount it on the desktop, you have to know the password. It encrypts with AES-256 I believe... don't remember anymore..."

Hi,

Password Retriever (I tried about 8 similar programs I liked this the best) is a much more convenient solution. The contents are encrypted so you need a user name and password for access. You select the item you want and either press "Copy Login" or "Copy Password" and then paste from the clipboard. I also use it to store all of my program serial numbers.
http://koingosw.com/products/passwordretriever.php

Because I never type a password, just click copy and then paste I use very secure passwords generated by RGP. This is a sample:
MY%sxW8$ki'>TDy)q&

BTW I have no connection with Password Retriever other than being a satisfied user. I think Password/Serial Number Storage programs are so convenient that they are almost a necessity.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]