FORUMS: list search recent posts

News: Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cow News Droid
News: Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006
on Jun 6, 2005 at 5:48:13 pm

(WWDC 2005, SAN FRANCISCO, June 6, 2005) At its Worldwide Developer Conference today, Apple

Return to posts index

Carlton Mills
Re: News: Apple-Intel transition should be smooth and without bad performance hits
on Jun 6, 2005 at 8:12:07 pm

Even if our favorite application still uses Power PC code and is being emulated it doesn't automatically mean that the app will be slow on the new Intel based Macs. Most of our CPU cycles are expended in things like Quicktime, the Quartz windowing system, H.264 codecs, Core Audio, Core Image and OSX functions like file I/O. These functions will run faster on the new Intel CPUs. So apps that have to be emulated will provide satisfactory performance. There are of course exceptions, a matrix arithmetic package in PPC code will be very very slow when emulated.

It looks like the transition is well conceived, all Apple apps and OSX have been developed and tested on both CPUs. There is much experience with code files that include code for more that one kind of CPU. This means that most of the bugs that lurk in C++ libraries and classes have already been fixed. The transition should not be too painful for the software vendors (it probably will be hurtful to our bank accounts).

What will be interesting to watch is the Intel Apple relationship; up till now Intel has dealt with grown ups - now they have to work with Apple. The next couple of years should be fun.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
Re: News: Apple-Intel transition should be smooth and without bad performance hits
on Jun 6, 2005 at 9:05:46 pm

[Carlton Mills] "...up till now Intel has dealt with grown ups - now they have to work with Apple."

Yeah, grown ups -- like all the gamers who outnumber those on the Mac by many, many, many times those on the Mac.

:o)

Boomer

Return to posts index

Bryce Whiteside
on Jun 7, 2005 at 12:11:08 am

Hey Ron,

True, but what is the Holy Grail of gamers? Graphics performance! I will agree that they are socially and fashion challenge.

What is the Holy Grail of video content creation? Graphics performance (RT, realtime effects and layering)!

Cheers,
Bryce

Don't worry Mr. B. I have a cunning plan...

PowerBook 1.67 Ghz ATI 9700 128 MB 2 GB
Final Cut Pro HD
DVD Studio Pro 3
Motion

Return to posts index

Bryce Whiteside
on Jun 7, 2005 at 12:14:27 am

... that's challenged with a "d".

Typo challenged,
Bryce

Don't worry Mr. B. I have a cunning plan...

PowerBook 1.67 Ghz ATI 9700 128 MB 2 GB
Final Cut Pro HD
DVD Studio Pro 3
Motion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]