FORUMS: list search recent posts

Printing Fonts... your app of choice.

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry Pallenberg
Printing Fonts... your app of choice.
on Jun 3, 2005 at 5:49:02 pm

What is yor fav app for printing fonts... I've just added another 600 - to an already huge collection, and it would be helpful if I could print 'the quick brown fox...' in all the differnt fonts.... The last time I did it was in OS9! - still have that list, but need to do it again.

Thanks.

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.3.6

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Printing Fonts... your app of choice.
on Jun 3, 2005 at 6:32:17 pm

I have no idea if it's prints, but just so you know...

OSX comes with a program called "Font Book," I think. If that's not the name, look for the program with an icon that looks like a metal tablet with an "F" on it. It's a nice, simple program that reminds me of "Address Book."

BE AWARE, however, that everytime you open it it looks like it scans all the fonts again. With a large collection this could take up to a minute. You can see the little "working" animation in the lower right part of the program. You should leave the program ALONE while it's doing that. I've found it to be very unstable and unusable if you try to use it while that process is going on. But if you wait a minute for it to finish, it's worked just fine for me.

That being said, I've never tried to print from it so I can't comment on that. But you should check it out first since you already have it.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Jun 3, 2005 at 10:00:46 pm

I heard all kinds of different stories, related to fonts. When our gfx artist migrated up to 10.2, he decided to use Font Book instead of Suitcase. He had all kinds of problems,5min start ups, laggy, hanging, crashing, etc. Finally the Mac just stop working, so he had to do a clean install, then started using Suitcase again. I on the other hand, can't get Suitcase to run well for me. Also, I've heard other people have a lot of success with Font Book. Never can tell.

I definatly would NOT try to import hundreds of fonts all at once. Actaully, I tried that a while back, crashed Font Book everytime. Plus, it's not a good idea to have anymore than 100 fonts active at anytime.

But the underling theme, BEWARE of Fonts! Tread slowly.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Harry Pallenberg
on Jun 3, 2005 at 10:40:15 pm

Font Book takes about 20 seconds to open with approx 2000 fonts... but I cant print 'em... thats the thing I need. Version tracker has some ideas, but not good feedback on them (or at least the cheap ones).

Thanks,
Harry.

Forum Cowmunity Leader: OSX
Forum Cowmunity Leader: Indie & Doc

Dual 1.8 G5 ** 1GB ** 10.3.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]