FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup Disk Image

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Collin
Backup Disk Image
on May 30, 2005 at 5:55:52 pm

I recently realized that the partition that my OS exists on is a little to small for my liking. I understand that it is unnecessary to have partitions any more, but I still like to have them for my own organizational purposes. Any ways. . . My plan to fix this was that I was going to create a Disk Image in Disk utility by selecting the Hard Drive my OS is on and going to Image > New Image from Macintosh HD. I was then going to restart with the install disk in, and go to disk utility and erase the hard drive. Then reset my partition and use the Restore option to put my OS back on that partition. The problem is that Disk Utility is not allowing me to complete the first step. I try to create the disk image it says "Device Busy". So I guess my question is how can I make an image of the partition that my OS is on? The drive that am putting the image on has plenty of room and it is a separate drive so that shouldn't be a problem, but I can't seem to get this to work.

Also, someone mentioned that I should use the restore feature to clone the drive to my other drive. I do have room on it for that , bbut I am wondering what the result will be on my other drive. If I do this, will it erase the data on that drive?

Return to posts index

Stephen Botting
Re: Backup Disk Image
on Jun 2, 2005 at 12:36:34 am

I recommend a program call Carbon Copy Cloner, there is a setting in it to make it backup to a disk image. You can then use it to copy back off the disk image when you do your restore.

Find it on version tracker.

Stephen

Stephen Botting

stephen@43south.co.nz
http://www.43south.co.nz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]