FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about partitioning, cloning and upgrading.

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per W. R
Questions about partitioning, cloning and upgrading.
on May 20, 2005 at 7:05:42 pm

To be prepared to upgrade my system with limited risks, I installed a second system disk to make a clone (both disks are 160 Gb). Then I found out that my A disk has two partitions "system" and "docs" both 74,4 Gb. The "docs" partition has 70 Gb available and the "system" partition has 2 Gb (that's pretty close to zero:-) On the "docs" partition is Apple Loops, on "system" is the rest, six folders called Application; Library; System; User; Updates and Thumbnails. I realize that this is no good.

What should I do? Can I move som folders from the "system" to the "docs" without risk for the system? The biggest one second to App is the User folder.

Or should I create two partitions on the new B disk with one small "docs" and one big "system", clone A to B, boot the system on B, create new partitions on A and clone back?

When I create partitions on B can I call them "System B" and "Docs B"?

If I choose B as the startup disk and it doesn't boot, how do I get back to A?

A lot of questions, I hope that someone has an answer!

/Per

Return to posts index

MitchJi
Re: Questions about partitioning, cloning and upgrading.
on May 21, 2005 at 4:29:33 pm

Hi,

The easiest thing to do would be to use the new drive for your new system install. I would do a totally fresh install on the new drive. Set it up with Journaling ON. This will be totally risk free because you won't have to touch the original drive. When you are done you will be running on a new drive which should last longer than your current drive.

I would repair permissions after the OS install and a few times while you are installing your software.

Then I would manually copy your data files from the old drive to the new drive. When you are sure everything is working correctly on the new drive use CCC or SuperDuper or the Restore Tab in Disk Utility to clone your new drive to the old drive and keep it as a backup (you can use SuperDuper to keep it up to date).

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

Per W. R
on May 21, 2005 at 6:55:23 pm

Thanks, Mitch! May be you're right, upgrading from scratch is better than try to update an old system. Any suggestions how to set up the new disk, partitions, folders?

/Per

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on May 22, 2005 at 6:08:01 am

Hi Per,

[Per W. R

Return to posts index

Per W. R
on May 22, 2005 at 8:14:41 am

Thanks again, Mitch! I'm so impressed that you guys take your time and engage in others cases on the otherside of the planet. Gives me hope of a better world :-)

I will call my Apple supplier monday morning and if he doesn't give me reliable advices maybe I take your offer and call you.

This is a big issue for me since the MAC is my only source of income. Today I'm running 10.3.5, FCP 4.5 AJA IO and a Medea Scsi raid plus a G-Raid and every thing works fine. I had my upgrade from Apple this thursday and on friday I had to do a timestretch on a voice. And that is something that the new Soundtrack Pro would be able to help me with. But Soundtrack have to run on 10.3.9 and there is a problem issue between the Medea Raid and 10.3.9. And there the whole thing started.

My wishes is to upgrade on one disk and if that system gives me problems I can reboot and run my old system on the other. I guess that should be possible!

/Per

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on May 22, 2005 at 10:58:31 pm

[Per W. R

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]