FORUMS: list search recent posts

Killing Nortons "virus"

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bettsy
Killing Nortons "virus"
on May 19, 2005 at 12:04:07 pm

Well, I've just installed Tiger - it's great so far - but when I started up, there's that old Nortons nag screen telling me I've updated the operating system - well Duh.

I have tried everything to rid my drive of all traces of Nortons Utilities, from using the Nortons uninstaller (which did nothing of course) right through to searching the entire drive for, and trashing, anything - visible or invisible - with anything relating to Nortons or Symantec in the name, parent, info - anything. But every time I update the OS, there's that damn nag again.

If anyone has any idea how to kill this thing once and for all - outside of reformatting the drive - please put me out of my misery:-(

When Symantec say there are no viruses on OSX, they forgot to mention themselves!

Cheers
Bettsy
Burra Films

Return to posts index

Eric
Re: Killing Symantec's "virus"
by
on May 27, 2005 at 3:58:57 am

Hey Bettsy -

I'm sorry that the Norton Utilities thing has been such a pain the a**. Anyway, I believe if you go to the link below the latest un-installer should be available. There was a problem with the previous un-installer and Panther because the suite of Symantec's products were rolled out just before Panther was available.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/num/nu_mac_8_files.html

Good luck.

eric

Return to posts index

Tim O'Grady
Re: Killing Symantec's "virus"
on May 28, 2005 at 6:44:56 am

Screw the uninstaller! If your not going to use Norton's again (and you shouldn't), why bother? Why not "reformat"? That's how I (and many others) upgrade a Mac. Back up, wipe the drive, add each app one at a time, load backed up files. That's the only sure fire way to upgade a Mac. I do it with each major upgrade. It takes longer but can potentially save you headaches in the long run. It's like clearing out the old cobwebs. Of course, if you're in the middle of a major project, well, you probably should have waited until the project was through to upgrade. Having said that, if you're in the middle of a big project and the new Norton uninstaller works with no ill affects, then if it ain't broke don't fix it. Just be sure to wipe and reload at some point.
Here's an article from Ken Stone's site about one way of upgrading:

http://www.lafcpug.org/tutorials/basic_tiger_upgrade.html

Hope this helps.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]