FORUMS: list search recent posts

tiger killed my mac, need help please

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ted brown
tiger killed my mac, need help please
on May 18, 2005 at 2:45:35 pm

i tried to install tiger last night and all of a sudden i am at a dos prompt like terminal with no start up disc to go to i did a osp reinstall and tonight i will do the panther re install has anyone else had this problem all i see, 1 a black screen a comman code of sh and something saying no admin or passover. 2 tiger will not install at all now my computer is hanging . any suggestions for me because i am out of ideas?

Return to posts index

solie swan
Re: tiger killed my mac, need help please
on May 18, 2005 at 6:58:53 pm

Not sure if you tried it, but boot up while holding the C key (with the Tiger disk in the drive) and then reinstall it - not sure if the information on your drive is lost. If you don't care, do a clean install of Tiger. If you backed up your Panther drive then at least you can go back to that (I did not and wish I could go back!)
Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
Re: tiger killed my mac, need help please
on May 19, 2005 at 11:49:43 am

You didn't really list enough info to help you with your problem, but with any MAJOR upgrade like an OS there are right ways and other ways. First you should have made a back up of your drive. CArbon copy is great and is almost free. Next, you need to do a Clean install. This way will ensure that no problems that may have existed in the older set up will be dragged into the new set up. You can do a search for the best procedure for installing or visit apple's site. But you should back up, erase the drive, start up with the cd, install off the cd, restart, repair permissions (it's like rubbing a rabbits foot), copy your other Apps (not the older os) back to your Hard Drive, repair permissions again, restart, upgrade other Apps as needed (because of new os) repair those pesky permissions, restart.

FYI restart holding mouse button down will force open the optical drive tray. restart with option key down will force system to search all drives with an OS on it and display them for your choice. restart wit c key will start system from a cd.

b

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]