FORUMS: list search recent posts

Home Theatre Mac

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bettsy
Home Theatre Mac
on May 14, 2005 at 11:59:01 pm

I'm currently investigating the purchase of a HTPC (that's right Windoze! - how desparate am I?) because Apple just haven't got it together. Check this out. <http://www.arisetec.com/products/HT-400.htm> How much cooler would something like this be if designed by the guys at Cupertino? Not to mention how elegant the interface would be in comparison to Windows XP Media Center.

Current Macs have everything required with the exception of a PVR app (the guys at <http://www.defyne.org> have this sorted) and a graphics card with component outputs. The box should be DIN width to match the AV amp (the only other component you'd need) and a G5 processor to handle HD media, along with an i-app to allow the whole shebang to be controlled via a remote and OSD (and so we don't have to fool around with Applescript). We have Quicktime, iTunes, iPhoto and DVD Player. One box would give you a set-top box, PVR, internet radio, music player, DVD player, web access, networking and storage. How cool would that be! How much would a bottom-line iMacG5 sell for without the LCD display?

I can't believe that the guys at Apple have let Gates and Co. get so far ahead on this one - it seems so core to Apple's business. How many iPod owners would love to have an iMedia centre? Anyone else agree with me? Anyone from Apple listening?

Cheers
Bettsy
Burra Films

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Home Theatre Mac
on May 16, 2005 at 12:05:52 am

I can't believe that the guys at Apple have let Gates and Co. get so far ahead on this one - it seems so core to Apple's business. How many iPod owners would love to have an iMedia centre? Anyone else agree with me? Anyone from Apple listening?
====

You're totally right, but I don't agree that Gates and Co. are all that far ahead. There have been various attempts in the PC world to meld the PC and the TV and so far none have worked out too well. Gateway based their stores around the idea that their computers could be sold with Plasma TVs and hooked up together but that didn't really take off. HP has had a Media-Center computer for a couple of years now but from what I hear it's the one that just came out a month or two ago that's finally worth buying. (And even that is still more of a PC than what you're talking about.)

In other words, the race is underway, but it's just now started.

In my opinion, Apple could come out with something up to a whole year from now and as long as it connects with the iPod and iTunes, they'll have no problem overcoming whatever competition has come out before them. Did you see that latest version of iTunes is now capable of selling videos? The only thing you can buy is a few music videos that come with audio albums...so no big deal yet, but clearly Apple IS working on this stuff. Based on the iPod's success I'm willing to bet we WILL be seeing more devices from Apple that can be sold to anyone whether or not they own a Mac.

Return to posts index

Bob
by
on May 16, 2005 at 11:32:50 am

I'd say the Mac Mini was step 1 towards the MediaMac. Add some video I/O & a tuner....

Return to posts index

Bettsy
on May 16, 2005 at 12:41:19 pm

The Mac Mini is a step in the right direction but Apple are telling us that H.264 playback requires a G5. (s'funny, I thought they were offboarding it all to the GPU) The thing's too small to fit a G5 processor if what they tell us about laptops is true which leaves us with SD only.

Take the LCD out of an iMac and drop the motherboard in a 430mm wide box. Perfect:-)) It would take Apple such little effort to do this.

It's just so odd to be a Mac user and be considering building my own and writing Apple Scripts to make it work.

Hope they're reading this.

Cheers
Bettsy
Burra Films

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]