FORUMS: list search recent posts

Icons disappear from desktop

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mal Hamilton
Icons disappear from desktop
on May 14, 2005 at 10:47:00 pm

Hi
Since installing Tiger all my desktop icons have gone, leaving only hard drive icons. Can no longer find photos or folders from Iphoto and Calendar info has also gone.
All this seemed to happen when trying to install a printer driver for Canon Pixar IP5000 (still not working).
Would appreciate any ideas.
Mal

Return to posts index

Mal Hamilton
Re: Icons disappear from desktop
on May 14, 2005 at 10:48:56 pm

Forgot to mention - one of the 'users' is no longer listed.

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on May 14, 2005 at 11:41:45 pm

Hi,

First (if you didn't do it before the install) back it up.

What kind of install did you do? Is the Canon printer known to work with Tiger?

I would boot from another partition and using Disk Warrior or Disk Utility repair the drive.

Then use Disk Utility to Repair Permissions.

Then test.

If its still not working reinstall Tiger and either do a "Archive and Install" (much more reliable than a normal install). Check the box that is something like "save network settings and preferences". This should work.

Another option would be to do a fresh install (still more reliable than Archive and Install), this might be called erase and install.

If you do the fresh install test and if everything is working correctly you could try (should work unless it tries to install the Canon) using migration assistant to import your old applications and files.

If you get it working (one or both of the above should work) don't install the Canon again unless you test it on another partition or you can verify it works with Tiger. Even then do a back up first.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on May 14, 2005 at 11:42:37 pm

[MitchJi] "I would boot from another partition and using Disk Warrior or Disk Utility repair the drive. "

Or boot from an install DVD or CD.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]