FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't do any Software Updates!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey McClurken
Can't do any Software Updates!
on May 13, 2005 at 3:57:11 am

I click the apple in the left hand corner of my screen to look for software updates...but it won't let me...I'm running OS X 10.3.9. Ever since I updated to that...I've had what it seems...nothing but problems...My Safari also got all messed up somehow...not sure if the two corrolate...but I had Safari 2.0...no problems...updated my OS...that messed up my Safari...so I downloaded Safari 1.2 from apple.com...Now I'm getting a Localized String Not Found whenever I right click anything...I have no idea how to fix any of this...someone please help...If this is too confusing for you...just ask me a specific question and I'll answer it to the best of my knowledge!

thanks a lot,
Casey McClurken

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Can't do any Software Updates!
on May 14, 2005 at 3:17:20 am

How could you possibly have had Safari 2.0 with 10.3.9 unless it was gotten from a Torrent or some such site. If you really did did have Safari 2.0 and did the 10.3.9 update, yes indeedy, your Safari sure will be hosed and messed up. You might also be possibly running Acid Search or Pith Helmet that has an item in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/SIMBL folder. If so either remove the offending files or get the updaters for these accessory apps.
You can get 1.3 ver of Safari by either re-applying the 10.3.9 (use the Combo Updater) or use Pacifist to extract
the Safari App from the Updater package file.
Also sounds like you may have run the updater without taking the usual steps prescribed everywhere:
boot from CD, run Disk Utility> Repair Disk for your boot HD
reboot from HD, run Disk Utility from HD, run Repair Permissions
After updates, run Repair Permissions again.

Lacking success with above, start over. Backup, erase, reinstall.

--
Chuck Reti
VIdeo Editor
Detroit MI

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]