FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Help with OS X

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dez Loreen
Compression Help with OS X
on May 12, 2005 at 5:03:06 pm

Yeah, I'm working with FCP, on OS X, and we've just finished a broadcast season of our programming.

I have a bunch (10-13) quicktime files that I used to burn DVDs for viewing.
These Qtime files are all about 10GB large, and are about 24 minutes long.

I want to back these up on DVD for storage(capacity 4.5GB)and want to know if there are any FREE programs I could use for Compression. I thought about Stuffit, but would like some more info about that.
(would stuffit expander work?)

I know this seems like a pretty n00b request, but it's what I need.
Thx

Dez

"Trying is the first step towards failure."
-Homer J. Simpson

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Compression Help with OS X
on May 12, 2005 at 6:40:26 pm

I don't think you'll get much help from any compression program. You may shave a little off, but certainly nothing close to what you need.

The only way to get those files small enough would be to compress the video itself to MPEG2 and burn a regular old video DVD, but I don't suggest doing that for archiving.

I'd suggest getting a firewire hard drive. For not too much money you can get a drive with more than enough space to store these files as well as anything else you feel like backing up.

Return to posts index

MitchJi
Re: Compression Help with OS X
on May 13, 2005 at 5:18:46 pm

Hi,

If you want to put them on DVD's at the full original quality you can set the FCP "Limit Capture/Export File Segment Size" to 4.3 gigs and export from FCP. This will create QT segmented reference files which you can reimport as contiguous footage.

If you want to streamline the burning process you can connect a couple of FW DVD drives, make a couple extra copies of Toast and burn multiple discs at the same time. You might have to use a lower burn speed (I think 2x would be OK) for this to work.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]