FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tiger upgrade doesn't see "Macintosh HD" as a destination.

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Beabout
Tiger upgrade doesn't see "Macintosh HD" as a destination.
on May 12, 2005 at 3:06:58 am

I've been trying to upgrade my personal laptop (PB 667) from 10.2 to 10.4. I got a "disk error" "try again" error right after it Finally finished checking the install DVD, and when I restarted a few times the "Choose Destination" part of the install now shows NO possible destination to install. I go to Disk Utility from the installer and I see the "Macintosh HD" but it is grayed out and will not mount even after pressing "Mount" with it selected. When I try to verify or repair the drive I get some kind of "sibling pairing failed" message and nothing happens.
Luckily I was able to eject the install DVD and it came back up to my old desktop and 10.2.8 OS. I am about prepared to just wipe the drive from Disk Utility (using Erase, Mac OS Extended), then hope that it will somehow magically appear as a possible destination to install Tiger. Should I do this, or would I just lose everything for no good reason.

Any ideas?

-Todd Beabout
Vazda Studios

Return to posts index

MrVideo
Re: Tiger upgrade doesn't see "Macintosh HD" as a destination.
on May 12, 2005 at 12:00:19 pm

Back up every thing "first" or you will regret it later. Get a Firewire drive and Carbon Copy Cloner and backup your boot drive.

Then as Tiger is a new install and not and updater, format and initialize your disk and then install Tiger.

If any of this fails you can either boot off the Firewire drive and/or move the contents back to your boot disk.

Personally, I am removing the Panther disk to a Firewire enclosure and installing a larger boot disk for Tiger.

Return to posts index

solie swan
on May 12, 2005 at 2:33:04 pm

Todd
My suggestion would be not to even bother with Tiger till they come out with the 10.4.1 update - there are just too many issues with spotlight, networking, safari and even FCP (like not being able to use my laptop LCD as a preview monitor any more) to make it worth while. I am sure that Apple will fix them but till then it is not worth it. If you feel you must, then the advice given about making a clone of your drive is a good one. I didn't and regret it!

Return to posts index

Todd Beabout
on May 12, 2005 at 3:59:24 pm

Well, I did it. I wiped my drive and started over. I didn't really back everything up, but I was able to hold on to the applications I needed and most of my personal files I didn't want to use.
My hard drive was so full of applications that I never used, some I had tried to uninstall but some of the components were stuck in my system folder, that I was kindof glad to just wipe it and start over. Like I said, this is just my personal laptop so I'm at least not forced to earn my living off it (like I was when I first bought it).
Thanks for all your advice!

-Todd Beabout
Vazda Studios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]