FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 gig file limit in OSX?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Morrow
2 gig file limit in OSX?
on May 5, 2005 at 7:53:59 pm

I am trying to get 8-20gig QuickTime's from a Unix box to my Mac OSX 10.3.9 DVD station. When I use BBbrowser light to ftp these files over the network the files get cliped at 2 gigs. I tried creating an NFS mount of the Unix drive and with this I can copy the QT over to My mac but can't do anything with the file once it is copied over. The larger Quicktime crashes all apps I try to open it with including FCP, DVD Studio Pro, Quicktime, Compressor. I am beging to suspect that it might be an HFS+ limit and was wondering if anyone could confirm this suspision. I have noticed that the Disk Utility in OSX comes with an option to format in UNIX will this solve my problem? Has anyone used this formating structure and are there any negatives to using UNIX drive formating. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: 2 gig file limit in OSX?
on May 5, 2005 at 8:02:59 pm

hello...

hfs+ does not have the 2gb file limitation, so that is not your issue...

one thing to try is to open a command prompt and see if you have any file size limits set - under bash, it's:

ulimit -a

and under csh it's:

limit

check the filesize param - it should be unlimited, but perhaps you have a limit?

just a guess...but it's not your format type if it's hfs+...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Francois Stark
on May 6, 2005 at 9:28:16 am

Have you tried sending smaller files over? Just to check if the encoding on the Unix system is fine. The problem could also be encoding QT files over 2GB on Unix - i know windows used to have a problem with that.

Do the large QT files play back fine in the unix system?

Return to posts index

Jesse Morrow
on May 6, 2005 at 5:05:06 pm

We have narrowed this down to the SGI side. The version of QuickTime used by Unix is old (like version 3or4) this version does not support Quicktimes over 2gigs. Thanks to all who responded.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]