FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 slow to encode?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve martin
h.264 slow to encode?
on May 4, 2005 at 4:48:04 pm

Hello all,

Has anyone exported from FCP (using QT conversion) to H.264. I'm exporting a 1 min test clip at Apple Store in Orlando on a 2.7 dual G% w/ 2 gig ram. Setting s are best video quality at 400x300 data rate constrained at 350 Kbs audio is 44.1 mone 16 bit. Est time is 6-7 min.

Seems really long???

Return to posts index

Dennis Lisonbee
Re: h.264 slow to encode?
on May 6, 2005 at 5:48:54 am

Oh Yea, it is very sloooooo. A three minute DVCPRO HD 720p 24fps said it would take three hours. I left and came back in three hours and it was done. It could have actually taken much less time. Remember, there is a lot of number crunching going on here. I output to 1240 by 720 @ 24 fps. It's worth the time as it looks very good. This will be a great way to have clients look at portions of HD projects. I will have the clips on a server tomorrow.

Dennis Lisonbee
Dual 2.0 dual G5
1.5 gig memory

Return to posts index

michele princigalli
Re: h.264 slow to encode?
on May 8, 2005 at 12:15:58 pm

Sounds right to me. I have a G4 Powerbook and it was going to take a long time for a few minutes video. It's a new format and it also seems to be very sophisticated. I suppose in future we are going to see hardware for that kind for work. I remember when encoding MPEG2 was a very long and difficult task.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]