FORUMS: list search recent posts

spotlight and images

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michele princigalli
spotlight and images
on Apr 28, 2005 at 6:18:32 am

Tomorrow Tiger is coming out. Will it fix the OS X image viewing problem? There is no mention of it on the apple web site (as if viewing images was not important to many Apple users). I think I saw an animation about Spotlight, where after finding images it was possible to have a slideshow, in real time, without funny drag-and-drop, preview programs, and slow image viewing. There is some hope! I think it will still be inferior to Windows simple XP integrated image viewing, but at least one can gain a minimum of functionality.

The question is, will we still need Iphoto then? If I can view photos faster in OSX, and can still assign keywords o files, baybe I can (finally) erase Iphpto 5 and all of its bugs!

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
Re: spotlight and images
on Apr 29, 2005 at 10:56:54 pm

From: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/9

"Some categories have more elaborate previews. For example, images can be displayed in a full-screen slide show. During the slide show, each image can be zoomed to fill the screen, or copied into the user's iPhoto library with a single click (complete with a genie-like animation). There's also a "contact sheet" effect that tiles all the images in a full-screen grid of thumbnails."

Return to posts index

michele princigalli
on Apr 30, 2005 at 5:19:37 am

thanks, great and useful article! I'm glad someone understands my concern and replies to my constructive criticism without calling me traitor and accusing me of provoking :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on Apr 30, 2005 at 5:45:13 pm

Last I checked, XP didn't support PSD files, so the Tiger solution should work even better.

Return to posts index

michele princigalli
on May 2, 2005 at 12:05:34 pm

Yes, I noticed that Tiger supports PSD files very well. So between slideshow and Iphoto (properly configured) one has a very solid solution on Tiger. Iphoto on my Powerbook is now extremely fast even with thousands and thousands of high res images. The only thing I wish Apple did, is to let me erase photos from Slideshow. I think Apple thought of slideshow as a presentation featue, but it could be used for excellent browsing, because you can also put all the images side by side. Erasing and Rotate would make it perfect.

Return to posts index

Mark Sloan
on May 2, 2005 at 2:25:46 pm

when in slideshow mode, you can't hit Apple-delete? i won't be installing 10.4 for quite some time so i haven't had the opportunity to try it out... And if it doesn't, there is a section no the Apple website for suggestions.

Return to posts index

michele princigalli
on May 8, 2005 at 12:09:45 pm

Yes I sent apple a note on the issue. There are actually two problems with using slideshow for that: you can't delete pictures, and it shows a random order of pictures. Obviously the feature s only there for entertainment purposes. So for now, the only solution is to make sure IPhoto run as quick as possible, or use a Windows machine (or emulator) to view pictures, and OS X for everything else.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]