FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost Internal Stripped ATA Raid on Panther Upgrade?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Prashant Bhargava
Lost Internal Stripped ATA Raid on Panther Upgrade?
on Apr 28, 2005 at 12:35:26 am

I had two 200 gig ATA internal drives striped using a ATA 100/133 card running on 10.2.x When I upgraded to Panther they disappeared. When I boot it prompts to initialize or ignore the drive.

Any way to get the raid back?

I had the previous system archived on the main drive upon install of Panther. Should I restore that? Or is there some extension that I can copy over?

Prashant Bhargava

Dual 1 Gig G4

Return to posts index

MrVideo
Re: Lost Internal Stripped ATA Raid on Panther Upgrade?
on Apr 29, 2005 at 2:19:29 am

I had virtually the same happen to me. My Quicksilver 2002 dual 1.0 GHz MAC had a SIIG ATA-133 ATA card hostin two 250 GB drives. Upon loading Panther, pffffst! No more drives!

I eventually got tired of trying to get SIIG to own up and I started my quest with Serial ATA drives.

Here's hoping Tiger doesn't kill those FirmTek SATA adapters.

Return to posts index

Prashant Bhargava
on Apr 29, 2005 at 2:44:43 am

Same - SIIG Card. I wrote them - SIIG - and they have no response. So no luck? 400 gig lost. Just seemed like a time when you wouldnt lose anything. And backing up such a big drive. Updated drivers, firmware. Is there a cheap utility out there that can recover data? I know nothing has been erased.

Return to posts index

MrVideo
on Apr 29, 2005 at 3:35:34 pm

[Prashant Bhargava] " Is there a cheap utility out there that can recover data? I know nothing has been erased.

"

Regrettably, there is no way to reassemble that data as it was parsed out between two volumes. If you reinstall 10.2 and don't touch your hardware , those mounted volumes should come alive.

I was able to do that to get the most valuable data off but actually when I removed the SIIG card and installed the FirmTek SATA card and made those two drive a RAID 0, the entire volume of data came up!

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on Apr 29, 2005 at 6:21:35 am

[Prashant Bhargava] "I had the previous system archived on the main drive upon install of Panther. Should I restore that? Or is there some extension that I can copy over? "

Hi,

I would try booting off the archived partition. If the archive is not on a dedicated partition I would put it on a dedicated partition so that you can boot off it without wiping out the new Panther partition.

Next time clone the orginal partition to a dedicated partition and spend a few minutes testing on the clone before doing your upgrade.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]