FORUMS: list search recent posts

OSX 10.3 install problems

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Simpson
OSX 10.3 install problems
on Apr 17, 2005 at 11:57:35 pm

Okay, so I decide to install 10.3 on my dual 867 G4 toady.. It currently runs 10.2.8.

So I insert the CD and follow all instrucitons...install seems to go well, say it will restart in 30 seconds..restarts....white screen with apple logo and little spinner goes on and on and on and on...sp after 10 minutes of this, I shut it down, restart again, and hold down "C" key to start from CD. I reinstall software....all seems to gto well, same stuff......restart and get the white startup screen, with apple logo and little spinner going on and on and on and on......So now I just let it go, but it goes on and on and on and on.....

So what now?

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

Mark Simpson
What Apple is teachng me.......
on Apr 18, 2005 at 12:41:40 am

Never........ever......install a 'pay for' upgrade.......

I never seem to have probelms in free updates...but whenever I install a 'pay for' upgrade to Mac OS, I pay dearly.

The last time I tried it was going to 8.5/8.6 from 8.0.......That cost me 3 'full (and I meana full 14-16 hr) days to repair the damage and get everything working again....I've been avoiding the upgrade on my mirrored door mac from jaguar to panther because of these painful memories....But because of newere hardware and software features I need access to, I decided to give it a whirl... Same story..

Here I am once again with a computer that seems to be completely broken because of a software install. But this time it's OSX, so I have no clue where to begin to trouble shoot it.....I read all the read me's, all the pdfs and instructions, and followed them, but still I have problems...

I have an apple iBook (G3/500) that I'd love to install OSX on, but I've been fearful of the resulting problems..So I'm stuck in OS 9 land as a result...

It seems the only 'safe' apple OS upgrade is the kind that comes by buying a new computer with the software preinstalled...

The price tag on the OSX box says $129....but in reality it's several thousand cuz you gotta buy it preinstalled on a computer...

Well, the day started off nicely...It was sunny and bright, had a big breakfast....worked out, took the dog for a walk, made some good progress on getting caught up on my business paperwork....then I decided to upgrade my OS........it's all gone to hell after that...

:-(

Return to posts index

MrVideo
Re: What Apple is teachng me.......
on Apr 18, 2005 at 1:29:41 am

Do not EVER dump a 10.y over 10.x upgrade. You are just asking for problems when you do.

I don't know if Apple even recommends this but experience tells us to backup all the important stuff with Carbon Copy Cloner to another bare/empty drive or Firewire drive and then format and initialize the boot drive , then install Panther. A fresh install should do good. Using CCC, restore the Applications, Documents, Users and mail and bookmarks back to the newer applications such as Safari and Mail

Return to posts index

Mark Simpson
on Apr 18, 2005 at 1:45:23 am

[MrVideo] "Do not EVER dump a 10.y over 10.x upgrade. You are just asking for problems when you do.

I just foolishly followed all the apple provided instructions....You think they just 'might' include this bit of advice if it's a no no.

[MrVideo] I don't know if Apple even recommends this but experience tells us to backup all the important stuff with Carbon Copy Cloner to another bare/empty drive or Firewire drive and then format and initialize the boot drive , then install Panther. A fresh install should do good. Using CCC, restore the Applications, Documents, Users and mail and bookmarks back to the newer applications such as Safari and Mail "

According to their instructions, they said that choosing 'upgrade' would keep all my mail data, internet data, settings and so on....upgrading my existing OSX system......So I assumed they knew this was a safe operation.

What is Carbon Copy Cloner?

There is another drive in the computer that has 1.7 gigs of space available. Should I try and install it there? I also have several firewire drives, but I don't know if OSX can be launched from those. There is no operating system on that drive. But there are important data files...If I try and install on that drive, am I risking problems with the data?

It's been so long since I had to I've forgotten, but isn;t there a way I can select OS9 during reboot? Then I could at least backup the stuff on the second drive before trying to install the OS.

I hope all the software in my apps folder isn't hosed...It will take 'eons' to reinstall, update, and configure it all again..

Most of my business work is done on my laptop and then I copy files over to the G4 for printing, backup, etc...

Return to posts index

Mark Simpson
How to bypass OSX and launch OS9 during reboot?
on Apr 18, 2005 at 2:04:22 am

How can I choose OS9 during a rebbot....Unfortunately, all apples manuals are electronic now, so unless your computer is working fine you can't read them..Of course if your computer is working fine, you don;t need to..

Should I use my software restore disks that came with the G4 (OSX 10.2)?If I were to do this, would it hose any data?

Thanks,
Paddling against the stream as fast as I can,
Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

craig moss
Re: How to bypass OSX and launch OS9 during reboot?
on Apr 20, 2005 at 11:28:18 pm

Back up all using CCC. http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html.

It's free and easy to use.

Then reformat system drive using apple's drive utility. If you are installing panther then use Mac os extended (journaled). Then install new system. If the old system is safe and intact on external drive then just use that drive as old computer when the install gets to the part about migrating old data onto new system. Apple calls it a migration utility and it works really well. The installer asks if you are updating an older Mac. Click yes. Then it tells you to plug it in to firewire port. Then turn it on. Do that. At some point it asks you to reboot old computer. No need just click continue. It takes care of the rest. It will bring you right back to where you left off. If you own ms office then delete the trial software that gets installed cause it will mess with the office documents when you try to launch them.

You can then use the external drive to do incremental backups using CCC

Return to posts index

MrVideo
on Apr 23, 2005 at 3:12:22 am

[Mark Simpson] "You think they just 'might' include this bit of advice if it's a no no.
"

Mark - it really is about understands what works and what doesn't. Experience seems to be the most valuable indicator. In the past I Have dumped 10.2 over 10.1 and succeeded but the later versions seem to be less forgiving.

[Mark Simpson] "What is Carbon Copy Cloner?
"

Carbon Copy Cloner is a shareware tool that can be found in many places, that allows you to clone files, folders or entire operating system copies. It has a simple interface that allows you to copy anything selected.

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on Apr 24, 2005 at 6:46:56 am

[MrVideo] "I don't know if Apple even recommends this but experience tells us to backup all the important stuff with Carbon Copy Cloner to another bare/empty drive or Firewire drive and then format and initialize the boot drive , then install Panther. A fresh install should do good. Using CCC, restore the Applications, Documents, Users and mail and bookmarks back to the newer applications such as Safari and Mail"

Hi,

Of course you should back up your boot partition first, it just doesn't make sense to burn your bridges behind you when a 30 minute backup and $40 or $50 worth of hard drive space can provide a complete copy to fall back on if necessary. This si seems like basic common sense. The restore tab in Disk Utility, CCC or SuperDuper are all good choices.

Then run the Disk Utility Repair or Disk Warrior (probably best) or Tech Tool from your copied boot partition (easier than the CD) on the partition you plan to update.

Then repair permissions.

The archive and install option should work (check save settings etc). A full fresh install is probably a little more reliable but not normally necessary.

Then repair permissions again.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]