FORUMS: list search recent posts

slow start ups, sluggish performance..what to do?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
seamus
slow start ups, sluggish performance..what to do?
on Apr 17, 2005 at 11:43:43 pm

Ok, since upgrading to 10.3.8, start up has blown out to well over 5min. There was a significant increase in time in start up after the upgrade. Things have been slowing down considerably since I got my imac g5 in january. OK, I have put a lot of stuff on it. So that is of course going to slow things down.

Anyway, I need to do some basic maintainance. and I'm not techy in the slightest, I need to be pointed in the direction of a good basic maintainance routine that may help. Its been three months since I bought it. And 60gigs of stuff has been put on it, and heap of various applications. Do I have to strip it all out, and start again?

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: slow start ups, sluggish performance..what to do?
on Apr 18, 2005 at 12:24:19 am

Depending on what it is/was, putting "a lot of stuff on it" is not going to affect system performance or startup, unless you've put in stuff that modifies system appearance or operation..
Two things that often delay startup-
Are you connected to the internet when you start up? If not, check System Preferences to make sure your Date and Time pane is not spending time looking for a network time server to set the clock.
Is your Startup Disk pref set to your boot hard drive or has it been set to look for a Network drive to boot from?

As for basic maintenance, whenever you do an upgrade, and also every once in a while, go to Disk Utility and run "Repair Permissions" on your drive. Startup from your System install CD, select Run Disk Utility from the menubar, and run "Repair Disk" on your usual startup disk.
Get Utilities Onyx, MacJanitor, Macaroni or Cocktail and occasionally run their tabs.

--
Chuck Reti
VIdeo Editor
Detroit MI

Return to posts index

seamus
on Apr 18, 2005 at 12:33:59 am

thanks for your reply.
I'll do that, didn't know you should run utilities while booting off the start up disk, so thats my first thing to do. I'm not connected to any networks but I am on the net. I'll have a look under the hood and see whats what.
Does a start up time of 5-6min seem excessive to you?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 18, 2005 at 4:53:52 am

Very exessive. My Dual 800 G4 running 10.3.4 takes about 45 seconds to start up.

- Don

Return to posts index

Nick Brenner
on Apr 27, 2005 at 10:03:25 am

In 10.3 a good thing to do is Startup the computer whilst holding down the SHIFT key. You'll see eventually on screen it saying starting up in Safe boot mode. Then go and run Disk Utility and Repair Permission on your startup disk. Do this every 2 weeks and you'll have a happy mac. Read this article:
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/care_feeding_panther.html

docofilms PAL 25fps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]