FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help on clone Harddisks

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
autorecall2003@yahoo.co.uk
Help on clone Harddisks
on Apr 17, 2005 at 7:23:12 pm

Hi,

I'm setting up a small editing system for an important job. I am super afraid of having a breakdown of a Hard disk. I want to use Lacie firewire 800 disk for media files, and maybe the internal ATA for sound and program files. My question is:

Since I can have 2 internal Hard disks in my G5, can I then clone the startup drive which also could contain all program files, documents and so on? So that every time I save something to my internal HD it gets automatically saved on the clone disk.

Can I do the same with my external firewire HD? So that it automatically send a copy onto another disk.

Is it possible, because then I will have a fail safe system with everything backed up all the time? Will the system get slower?

Return to posts index

MrVideo
Re: Help on clone Harddisks
on Apr 18, 2005 at 1:32:39 am

You didn't mention which system, but using Carbon Copy Cloner to copy, file by file to an external Firewire drive, should be able to boot off the Firewire drive in case of emergencies. If you need to run DiskWarrior without booting to the CD, you can boot the Firewire copy and run DW on the original disk drive.

Return to posts index

autorecall2003@yahoo.co.uk
on Apr 18, 2005 at 6:21:12 am

I run G5 OSX 10.3 - maybe even Tiger when I will do the project.

I'm a newbie, so please guide me like one. I don't know the software you are talking about, but are they a part of OSX or is it software I have to buy?

Am I able to have the system do it automatically?

Return to posts index

MitchJi
on Apr 24, 2005 at 6:52:15 am

Hi,

You want to use RAID Mirroring. This will maintain the exactly the same thing on two matching drives. Not slower but you only have one half the storage. I think the drives need to be the same size. You can do this with Disk Utility or third party software. You will need to back everything on the drives before setting up the Raid Array.

Best Wishes,

Mitch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]