Dumb Tiger Question: Compatibility?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric
Dumb Tiger Question: Compatibility?
by
on Apr 12, 2005 at 6:53:33 pm

Hi good COW folk.

I'm thinking of doing it...Installing Tiger on my powerbook as a test. So here's where my lack of knowledge comes in...If its a 64-bit OS and all of my applications run only in a 32-bit environment will they run? Or is it like trying to install Adobe After Effects on an SGI running IRIX (no go). If the applications will install, is there going to be a big performance hit because of some weird 32-bit emulation mode? Futhermore, since I would be installing it on a Powerbook which is running off of a 32-bit G4 processor will work correctly? I have a Dual G5 thing as well but I don't want to mess that one up just yet.

I use Combustion, Shake, After Effects, Photoshop etc. So knowing that what do you think (thumbs up or thumbs down) on installing Tiger on the Powerbook.

Thanks in advance to all you folks who do know all these answers and then some.

eric

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Dumb Tiger Question: Compatibility?
on Apr 12, 2005 at 7:25:33 pm

Nothing to worry about. Your applications will still be running in 32-bit modes because of the G4 chip but there's no strange "emulation" mode or anything. This is no "OS 9 to OS X" kind of switch. You'll be fine with Tiger on a G4 and you'll be fine with 32-bit applications with Tiger on a G5. You don't have to worry about that at all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]