FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac to PC

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Greening
Mac to PC
on Apr 12, 2005 at 2:03:25 am

I have a friend who asked a question to which I have no answer, so now I'm turning to the pros. She has an older G4 400Mhz and wants to network it to a newer PC so she can transfer some stuff like jpeg files, etc. I told her I thought she might be able to connect them both using an ethernet cable and do it that way. They got this new PC built for them from pieces around Xmas time last year, so I couldn't begin to say what kind of PC it is, other than I know it's got a 2.something Ghz pentium 4 in it. Any thoughts on whether this connection will work for her? Does she need any additional software for either machine? Her older Mac has only a DVD ROM drive in it so she wants to be able to transfer files to the PC for CD burning. I told her she would probably be able to buy an inexpensive internal or external CD burner for the Mac but she doesn't want to spend any money on the older machine. I already asked her if she wants to buy a small FW drive and format it in FAT32 but again, she wants to do this on the cheap.

Thanks for any input, guys and gals.

- Don

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Mac to PC
on Apr 12, 2005 at 4:12:44 am

hello...

if she's got a non-os x mac, then it's going to pretty much be out of the question...if it's os x then she can create a small network and then use samba to connect the boxes...but that involves a hub of some sort. if she doesn't have that, then she might be sorta out of luck...

(you can connect 2 macs with a crossover cable, and same with 2 pcs, but by default a mac and a pc don't know how to talk to each other so well - that's what samba did, but that's software, and you're not likely to get it to work across a simple crossover connection... :-/

sitruc

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 12, 2005 at 4:37:28 am

Thanks Curtis. I'll let her know.

- Don

Return to posts index

craig moss
on Apr 12, 2005 at 5:00:16 am

if they share an internet connection she might already have a hub of some sort.

OSX 10.2.3; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 12, 2005 at 5:49:03 am

Exellent thought, Craig. I don't know if she has them set up that way but I'll ask her about it tomorrow.

- Don

Return to posts index

Rene Hazekamp
on Apr 13, 2005 at 12:38:43 am

it's a good advice, though connecting a mac to pc through ethernet is fairly easy when yoy have os x .2 or higher. and the pc has windows xp

connect the computers with a crossover ethernet cable

make the pc network enabled (i believe this is the default)

In the mac go to system preferences choose network, choose built in ethernet, under the tab tcp/ip choose connect through or via DHCP and renew connection.
Important is that you have some patience because on a powerbook 800 it takes approx 10 seconds before the connection is established, then go to your network alias on the hard drive and you see that the sees that there is a server avaible. type the password of the pc and your done.

good luck

file transfers at 10 meg a second are possible

rene hazekamp

http://www.renehazekamp.com

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 13, 2005 at 3:37:10 am

Thanks Rene for taking the time to post. I'll let her know about it.

- Don

Return to posts index

craig moss
on Apr 13, 2005 at 7:20:47 am

another possibility:

from http://www.machome.com/tips/display.lasso?grr8=93

Easy File Sharing with Remote Macs and PCs
OS X's Personal Web Sharing feature is an easy way to share large files with Mac and PC users. The only software needed on the remote computers is a web browser. Here's how to use this handy OS X feature.
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple Menu and click Sharing. Under Services you'll see a list of available sharing options.
- Choose Personal Web Sharing and click Start.
- Make note of the address provided at the bottom of the window and close System Preferences. (The address will look something like http://10.180.75.99/~cmcveigh/)
- Return to the Finder and choose Go>Home. Find the Sites folder, open it and toss out the index.html file and the images folder (unless you've already created your own web page)
- Place the files you want to share with remote Macs and PCs into the Sites folder and send your address to the people who need access to your files. Voila, easy file sharing.

OSX 10.2.3; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]