FORUMS: list search recent posts

Javascripted websites: mac vs pc

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rob hindley
Javascripted websites: mac vs pc
on Apr 9, 2005 at 1:30:50 am

I have been scripting some drop down menus on my mac for my clients but have found that sometimes javascript behaves differently in Safari/IE than IE in Windows. Does anyone know why the anomoly? I thought the js language was totally cross-platform.

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Javascripted websites: mac vs pc
on Apr 9, 2005 at 11:25:13 pm

hello...

[rob hindley] "I thought the js language was totally cross-platform."

a short answer to this would be "oh my no"... :-/

microsoft has long had their own dom (document object model) and a host of very specific javascript functions, etc. that are exclusive to their browser...in addition, there are a few issues in safari that require very precise html and javascript to get things to work (both of these are too many in size to go through here)...

some things are finally much better, though - in all modern browsers, you can now use the handy document.getElementById function, which (although seemingly small) was a huge step that made for the possibility of much fewer if/else blocks for all the different browser flavors...in addition, along with that function came many other features that worked across all browsers...

do you have an example page that you can link to so that i could perhaps point out the culprits in your specific code?

sitruc

Return to posts index

gribble
Re: Javascripted websites: mac vs pc
on Apr 10, 2005 at 11:33:32 pm

Sitruc

the site in question:
http://www.compass-foundation.co.nz

as you can see I didn't hand code it - used OpenCube's handy utility and then hand tweeked.

thanks for your help. I usually just use buttons with rollovers - they always work but look less fancyschmancy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]