FORUMS: list search recent posts

best way to compare contents of two drive?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig moss
best way to compare contents of two drive?
on Apr 7, 2005 at 5:33:12 am

What's the easiest way to get a list of files that are either not on one drive or a different modified date? Let's say you want both drives to have everything the other one has.

OSX 10.2.3; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

VideoGuy
Re: best way to compare contents of two drive?
on Apr 8, 2005 at 5:12:39 pm

There is no command that can compare copious amounts of files on two different volumes and tell you what the differences are.

The best way to make sure that one drive has the very same files as the first is to use Carbon Copy Cloner on a bare-empty drive/volume and copy every thing, bit by bit.

Return to posts index

craig moss
Re: best way to compare contents of two drive?
on Apr 9, 2005 at 12:14:13 am

Yeah that was what I thought. If I clone with the option NOT to delete things on the target that is not on the source, I suppose I'd end up with a combo of the two drives, but no assurance the latest version of each file is the one that remains. I'm usually pretty organized, but my machine has been in and out and in the shop again and I've had two loaners. As a result, I have gotten confused as to what is on what backup. Usually it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]