FORUMS: list search recent posts

moving files

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
craig moss
moving files
on Apr 2, 2005 at 6:49:57 am

With computer in shop for the second time, I need to update my user account by dragging files from a backup of my home folder to the home folder of my previous backup. When I attempt to drag in the microsoft office main identity, I get a message that i can't copy that because the database cache is in use. How do I make it not in use. No application was opened at the time. Thanks.

powerbook g4 with external fire wire drive. os 10.3.7.

OSX 10.2.3; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

Stephen Botting
Re: moving files
on Apr 3, 2005 at 11:43:19 pm

Is it possible you are using the reminder part of Entourage, Eg. A little window pops up telling you that your late for an appointment.

Try booting in with extensions off, might even be called "safe mode". Now your going to call me stupid and say that MacOS X dosn't have extensions like MacOS 9.

Holding down shift at startup, in exactly the same way you did in MacOS 9, prevents MacOS from loading kernal extesnions and such, I think it also prevents any startup items from starting. This might allow you to move the files. Otherwise there is single user mode (expert), or try things like duplicating the files first.

Stephen

Stephen Botting

stephen@43south.co.nz
http://www.43south.co.nz

Return to posts index

craig moss
on Apr 4, 2005 at 1:24:57 am

Thanks Stephen. I've used safe mode when repairing permissions when I don't mind rebooting, but never really knew what it meant.

OSX 10.2.3; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; FCP 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000; write professionally for a variety of media

Return to posts index

craig moss
on Apr 5, 2005 at 4:14:35 am

tried the safe boot mode and it still says that it is "in use." weird. I think i'll try to copy from one back up to another so i am not using the boot drirve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]