FORUMS: list search recent posts

C100 Mark II 60p to 240fps with twixtor - Best settings?

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Piotr Bryl
C100 Mark II 60p to 240fps with twixtor - Best settings?
on Jun 16, 2015 at 1:49:39 am

I'll be filming a chef preparing a dish and we intend on slow motion shots. This will be shot in 60p on Canon C100 Mark II with the intention of interpreting the footage down to a slower frame rate for a slow motion effect. I'll then want to use twixtor to slow it down even further.

I understand that the shutter speed should be higher to get better results in twixtor. However, if I plan on using some of that footage at normal speed, will a high shutter speed cause an unnatural look? And can that be fixed so it looks good/natural (24p) at normal speed also?

Second question: what is the best premiere pro workflow for slowing down footage with twixtor? What specific settings would you suggest in both/either twixtor regular and pro?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: C100 Mark II 60p to 240fps with twixtor - Best settings?
on Jun 16, 2015 at 2:00:52 am

The main thing is the less motion blur in the actual source footage the easier it is for Twixtor. One can always apply RSMB in post if the footage is too strobby at lower frame rate.

As such you might want to invest in Twixtor Regular and RSMB instead of Twixtor PRO. The worst in your scenario would be a closer up shot where someone is sideways and move real fast a knife that has reflections back and forth to chop something... You also have to be careful with semi-transparency (like a fast blender blade moving some transparent liquid you see through the jar... - that might look weird at 60 FPS sources with Twixtor applied).

Within Premiere, you will note some tutorials at our website if you press the Help button at the top (techsupport@ can help you from there). That aside what works in Premiere is to interpret the footage to the actual FPS you will use in the end. And work at that frame rate. The other question is if you need to maintain the audio - sometimes when doing small amount of slow-mo (or straight frame rate conversion) you might need to unlink the audio and apply Premiere Speed to audio and then relink. We go a bit over that in Twixtor for Premiere last tutorial. If you plan to do something more fancy with slowmo and audio is important, you might want to learn the precompose in AE part as we explain to make speed ramps...

Pierre

Return to posts index

Piotr Bryl
on Jun 16, 2015 at 1:28:05 pm

Thanks Pierre. Yes, some of the footage is strobey and I tried RSMB, but I'm not seeing a big difference. Maybe the settings in camera weren't optimal? Is 1/150th shutter speed decent for twixtor for handheld/shoulder rig work with some slow pans, or does the shutter need to be higher?

Would you apply RSMB first and then twixtor, or the other way around?

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jun 16, 2015 at 7:19:21 pm

After Twixtor
Raise the Amount maybe?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]