FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor best practices

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrien Oneiga
Twixtor best practices
on Apr 11, 2015 at 2:34:55 am

Hello,
well it looks like 2015 is bringing a much larger selection of cameras capable of doing higher frame rates.
most will be around the 120FPS category, but a lot of the action i would like to slow down is around 200-240 played back at 24p.

that being said, what's the consensus for using 120fps and twixtor? are the controls successful in removing optical flow warp artifacts for the most part? or if i put it differently, what is a speed range you are consistently, and confidently able to slow down 120p without those artifacts. footage that is not necessarily shot with twixtor in mind too, that is.

i realize this is a very subjective question and i am in the process of gathering some more 120p footage to try out, but i'm certainly interested in hearing any feedback from users out there.

Media Architect - Skyway Design Studios

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Twixtor best practices
on Apr 11, 2015 at 8:37:24 pm

At 120 FPS it's really hard to find a usable shot that has warping artifacts. Perhaps fast moving little objets moving from one side of screen to the other, like ping pong, crocket, baseball balls, ... things that still have substantial blur trail at that frame rate are typical candidates for problems as they cross other objects. It's also harder to shoot as you need more light - so outside of sunlight you might get more noisy images.

Note if you use AE, although it creates a 120 FPS if you make New Comp from Footage it will make it 120 FPS but otherwise you are capped to make a new comp at 99 FPS, so it's best you interpret footage at the wanted destination frame rate (e.g. 24 FPS) from the get go. The workflow if you want to maintain the audio is a bit different for each app, like in Premiere if you interpret 120 FPS to 24 FPS, you now have the chipmunks effect. Our last tutorials for Premiere go into this. You might have to unlink the audio and handle it separately. Premiere maintains a second of audio as a second of audio if you drop a sequence of 120 FPS into a 24 FPS sequence but not via Interpret Footage...

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]