FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best RSMB Settings?

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cheng
Best RSMB Settings?
on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:51:19 am

I am now doing a stop motion video in 24 frames per second.
There are absolutely no motion blur, since they are just pictures.
To add motion blur, I used RSMB with its default settings.
But it turned out really really bad. Everything is squished and bulged up. I tried to turn down the blur amount, but the best result is like 0.07, which simply just means 0.
I would like any advice of the best settings of RSMB on a 24 FPS animation, or even a better choice for motion blur.
Or maybe even reasons of why I shouldn't even put motion blur, and leave it as how the Hobbit looks.

$$

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Best RSMB Settings?
on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:26:21 pm

Brian,

Best if you could send a short sequence to techsupport at revisionfx dot com for us to look at
Many things can be going on, for example if you have duplicated frames (animating on 2s) that will not work as expected...

Pierre

Return to posts index

Brian Cheng
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:35:34 pm

Nah, there's nothing wrong with my animation and composition settings. What I'm asking is that what is the best blur amount? Because I cannot find the right value. It is either too much or too less.

$$

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Apr 15, 2014 at 10:50:03 pm

Amount of 0.5 on something that has no motion blur is like 180 deg shutter.

For a live-action filmic look, normally DOP of 24P movies shoot with a 180 deg shutter (1/48 shutter at 24P) - that is part of the film look. And it so as projectors historically had 1 frame on - 1 frame off cadence. And your eyes are supposed to like that better.

Sports people usually deal with 60 FPS (1080i or 720P) and often use 360 deg shutter (1/60 shutter integration time (or 1/50 in Europe) ).

Since stop-motion motion blur is animation, so it's subjective as you can use this to accentuate motion.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Brian Cheng
on Apr 16, 2014 at 1:54:26 am
Last Edited By Brian Cheng on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:11:58 am

So, just making sure that I'm understanding you.
If I want my animations to look like live action footage, it should have a blur amount of 0.5, because 0.5 is about the blur amount of a 180 shutter angle, and 180 shutter angle is normally what live action footage is shot at.
Thank you for your advice, oh, and one more thing. What about the motion sensitivity? Do you have any suggestions for that? Or do I just leave it as 70?

The picture attached is what the footage looks like now after applying the default settings
comp10-00-01-05.jpg

Or you can watch the clip here: http://reels.creativecow.net/film/motion-blur-video
The first time is without motion blur, and the second time is with motion blur.

Thanks again!

Movie Director
Stop Motion Animator (Canon 100D, 24FPS)
Palie Studios

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:48:53 pm

Your results look pretty good so far.

You can play with Motion Sensitivity if you see edge artifacts. It effectively limits the amount of motion a pixel can have.

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]