FORUMS: list search recent posts

best workflow for AE time remap and Twixtor

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Kelly
best workflow for AE time remap and Twixtor
on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:53:53 pm

I am considering purchasing Twixtor Pro. My host application in AE 6.0. I have a time remapped layer with keyframes that speed up, slow down and freeze the footage in time with audio. AE's built in motion estimation produces some artifacts, so I'd like the extra smoothness provided by Twixtor. In basic tests of slowing down footage, the frames that Twixtor generates are pretty clean.

I obviously can't just apply Twixtor to the time remapped layer and get better results than AE - I've tried applying to a precomp containing the time remapped layer, to a solid layer with the color source set to the time remapped layer and directly to the time remapped layer. Because plugins cannot lengthen a clip, I assume that whenever my keyframes are slowing down footage I'll have to create a new Twixtor-ed layer using either the precomp or solid/color source method.

The time remapped layer has lots of keyframes, is there a better work flow than isolating the slow sequences in separate Twixtored layers?

Much thanks and Happy belated New Year

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: best workflow for AE time remap and Twixtor
on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:24:07 pm

One trick is to make a precomp of original footage and apply Twixtor 100% default
Then in the main comp time-remap the layer you precomped (the usual time remap, no motion estimation)
This will both time remap audio and video and the estimation will come from Twixtor

Pierre

Return to posts index

Dan Kelly
on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:39:54 pm

[Pierre Jasmin]
"One trick is to make a precomp of original footage and apply Twixtor 100% default
Then in the main comp time-remap the layer you precomped (the usual time remap, no motion estimation"

Hi Pierre.

I'm confused. Do you mean select the precomp layer, right click and then Time/Enable Time Remapping?

The check box is disabled for frame blending on the precomp.

Dan

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jan 6, 2014 at 11:53:34 pm

Step by step:

Drop Footage in comp1
Select Footage Layer on timeline - Right-Click: Pre-Compose , you now have FootageComp2
Double click to enter FootageComp2
Apply Twixtor (100% speed)to the layer
Go back to Comp1, select FootageComp2 layer : right click ( time | Enable Time Remapping)
Set Time Remapping

Voila!

Pierre

Return to posts index

Dan Kelly
on Jan 7, 2014 at 12:30:20 am

Hey Pierre. Ok, that's working, thanks. Some artifacts tho, ok to change Twixtor's defaults with this approach, eg Forward instead of Inverse? Looks like I'll still need to break it apart to get the best results.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jan 7, 2014 at 12:58:18 am

Yes you can change everything (just not the speed)

Pierre

Return to posts index

Dan Kelly
on Jan 7, 2014 at 1:55:54 am

Thanks, I'll explore further...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]