FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor SHIFTS video. Desired in out point inaccessible.

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Whishaw
Twixtor SHIFTS video. Desired in out point inaccessible.
on May 24, 2013 at 8:12:36 pm

Just trying a demo of Twixtor. I have a clip that is fairly long. I select the very short section I want to manipulate and I drop it in the timeline. I then apply Twixtor and my desired section of clip gets shoved so for down the the comp it disappears. And not just disappears from the comp but actually disappears from the clip all together. If I open the clip in the viewer I am missing more than 2/3rds of my original video. This happens even if I apply the effect to a pre-comped version of my clip.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple but this seems like a dumb think to happen when applying the effect. Not clever at all and very annoying.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: Twixtor SHIFTS video. Desired in out point inaccessible.
on May 24, 2013 at 8:21:30 pm

Check our tutorials if all this is not clear
http://help.revisionfx.com/album/20/

You probably changed the clip in-point in main timeline, if you are in speed mode you will need to slide in nested sequence (as explained in our tutorials) as speed is calculated relative to first frame pre-in point.

yes?

Pierre

Return to posts index

Paul Whishaw
on May 24, 2013 at 8:37:06 pm

No. I did not change the in point in the main timeline. When I apply the effect whatever portion of the video that is in the timeline disappears and is replaced by video from much earlier in the clip and the video I am trying to target gets slipped right out of the entire original media clip. So if I make my comp as long as I can to fit the clip and I navigate to the end of the clip/comp, it ends somewhere closer to the beginning of the clip with a huge section of media that is just gone. Pushed into limbo.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on May 24, 2013 at 8:45:30 pm

um... did you follow our tutorial?
It might be that you did not understand what I said about sliding the input in nested sequence to frame you want slow-mo to start with if you want to work in speed mode

Return to posts index

Paul Whishaw
on May 24, 2013 at 9:07:07 pm

No. I misunderstood the pre-comping the pre-comp.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on May 24, 2013 at 9:12:14 pm

I thought you were in Premiere :)
You don't need to precomp the precomp, just drop the clip in a comp and set comp duration as appropriate and slide the first frame you want to the first frame of precomp
Or you can work in frame mode, set view to source, move frame number until you see the frame you want to start, set a KF there, go to the last frame (duration wise) you want, set the last frame you want there.
Then play as needed with in-between KF for frame number

Pierre

Return to posts index

Paul Whishaw
on May 29, 2013 at 6:52:06 pm

Got it. Another quick question, without going into masks and tracking points, how much better is the pro version just straight up applied, no messing around. Just fast and dirty. Any difference? Are these crazy pro features offered in the trial version?

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on May 29, 2013 at 6:58:01 pm

There is Matte layers too, Read and Write Motion Vectors as Images...
(check for example this cool Particular demo using Twixtor Motion Vectors Create -- http://www.redgiant.com/videos/getting-started/item/353/

A simple one is a different warping mode (called Forward)

Anyhow the installer drop it as well. If you have a Regular license it leaves PRO watermarked. You can always wait and upgrade later if you need it.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Jamie Wonnacott
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:10:46 pm

Pierre,

Having experienced some similar issues I wonder if you would be able to clarify my workflow please?

I've got a composition of several clips which was created in Premiere to get the video/audio timings right. Clip speeds vary from 100%, 80% and 50%.

I've then copied the composition across into After Effects in order to apply Twixtor and Colour Grading.

Now, I appreciate that if I were to have started the project in After Effects I would apply Twixtor as described, choose my desired In-Point as required etc.

However, my In-Points are already defined before adding Twixtor. Once added, my In-Points shift (I assume because Twixtor works relative to the first frame).

In a recent trial with clips slowed to 80% I had to find the In-Point in Premiere and multiply this by 1.25 to find the equivalent In-Point in After Effects. I had to do this for each clip throughout the whole composition. Clearly a laborious task and so I gave up and didn't bother purchasing Twixtor.

I guess my question is: Is there a way to retain my original In/Out points after applying Twixtor? Or have I misunderstood somewhere along the way?
My ideal solution would be for twixtor to work relative to my In-Point.

Any help to save me from my madness is very much appreciated.
Regards,

Jamie Wonnacott
Creative Video Production Bristol Somerset
Wedding Video Production Somerset

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Nov 20, 2013 at 7:53:38 pm

You are correct is that the in-points shift. But this happens even before you apply Twixtor... presumably you reset the Time Stretch back to 100 on the clip in AE before you applied Twixtor (the Time Stretch setting is equivalent to the Speed setting in Premiere Pro).

There is a workaround that should work: in PP, set the speed on the clip in it's own sequence. Do not trim this sequence, but put this sequence in the sequence where you are editing, and trim. The rule for what you want to do : do not trim the clip where the speed change is applied, but rather in a parent sequence. In this way the start of the sequence that is speed changed will always be the first frame of the clip, getting around the problem that in-points change.

Then in AE:
Go to the sequence where the speed change occurs, and change the Time Stretch or Time remapping back to be 100%. Apply Twixtor to the clip. You'll need to then sub-comp the clip if you are making it slower so that you can make the clip long enough, and leaving Twixtor in the parent comp where the speed change happens (this is always what you need to do when slowing down a clip with Twixtor, because Twixtor can't add frames to a clip!). Remember that the new pre-comp may need to have it's duration extended in its composition settings. Then it's this parent comp that's included in another parent comp where the trimming happens (so now you have two nested comps where in Premiere Pro you just one nested sequence).

To avoid the problem you describe, rule of thumb is this: never trim the front of a clip, nor transition to, a clip or sequence where the speed change is applied. Always nest the sequence so that the speed change sequence is not trimmed or transitioned to DIRECTLY. This way, when you replace PP's speed change with Twixtor, the sequence with Twixtor is never trimmed directly, which shifts the in-point that causes the behavior you are seeing.

Pete

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Nov 20, 2013 at 8:26:44 pm

An alternative workflow that I think would work if you need to timeremap audio as well (AE only)

- Select clip with TimeRemapping Speed applied in Premiere
- Right Click Make New AE Comp
- IN AE select clip and Right-Click PreCompose
- Double click to enter Precomp, Apply Twixtor with default values
- Return to main comp and render

As you see Timeremapping is the inverse of Twixtor speed

Pierre

Return to posts index

Jamie Wonnacott
on Nov 20, 2013 at 11:44:11 pm

Gentlemen,
Thanks for taking the time to reply and confirming my understanding about Twixtor working reference the first frame. In future I will tried your methods.

I had a second look prior to discovering your replies and came up with the following workaround:

1. Copied the complete composition from PP to AE and then applied the following procedure to each layer:
2. Duplicate layer, return Speed to 100%, Enable Time-remapping, Apply Twixtor and set Speed (which, as you say, is equal to original speed in PP or Inverse Speed in AE).
NOW TO RESYNC FOOTAGE
3. Align the first Time-Remapping keyframe (of the copied layer) with the first frame of the layer below (the original).
4. Trim the IN and OUT points to match the original layer below.
5. Turn the uppermost layer on and off to check synchronisation with the original layer (you notice small changes where Twixtor has interpolated data). Once Checked delete the original layer.

It's not pretty but it worked in the circumstances. Plus knowing your keyboard shortcuts made the process fairly quick.

It's a shame that Twixtor works by having to enter a speed into the plugin settings and not just interpolating speeds/time-remapping within each layer.

Thanks again for your input. Always great to know the community is alive and so willing to help. The very best to you all.

Jamie Wonnacott
Creative Video Production Bristol Somerset
Wedding Video Production Somerset

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]