FORUMS: list search recent posts

RSMB + Blender Vector Speed Pass = problems

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hadden
RSMB + Blender Vector Speed Pass = problems
on Sep 7, 2012 at 9:02:45 pm

Hello, I'm having some trouble using the RSMB Pro Vector Pass filter in AE CS5.5 (latest version downloaded trial to ensure Vector pass would work).

Images attached, perhaps RSMB is designed to have a differently processed RGB Speed Vector Pass, but this is what I've got to work with and would like to use a 3rd party renderer (Octane) plus RSMB to create the motion blur for a TV show motion graphics package I'm working on.

RSMBproblem.png
flagtest0205.png
vectorpass0205.png

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
Re: RSMB + Blender Vector Speed Pass = problems
on Sep 8, 2012 at 1:34:42 am

This is definitely not XY raster space motion as RSMB expects.
I cannot find the explanation anymore about what these channels are. I see some vague reference about orientation and speed but looking at your example file, that does not look like that.
I cannot quite tell which of the 3 channels is speed and which is orientation as if you look at it, they all have large areas of black in them, perhaps it's being clipped by the 8 bit image. If you can render the vec image in floating point and the color image with an alpha channel, and see in an app like AE in a 32b float project that the 0 are under 0.0... if 2 of them are speed x and y, there might be a way, else feel free to play with SmoothKit Directional Per Pixel with Dir Source Interp to Orientation or Direction (if spread over two channels) and Len Mode would be like Speed. But again that you have full on white or black large areas is an indication that it's not motion that is encoded here.

Pierre

Return to posts index

David Hadden
on Sep 8, 2012 at 9:10:57 am

Hi Pierre, thanks for your help,

I found some information regarding the pass information, but it's a bit old and I don't know if it's still accurate. Lot of people asking the question when I search, not a lot of answers :(

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?133266-RGB-Speed-Vector-Pass...

Return to posts index

David Hadden
on Sep 8, 2012 at 11:04:51 pm

I have a the information for what channel is used for what information here...

The image (RGBA) is based on screen space pixel movement of vertices... R being the x direction from current frame to previous frame, G being y direction from current frame to next frame, B being x direction from current frame to next frame, A being y direction from current frame to next frame.

So it sounds like I'm simply out of luck trying to use RSMB to interpret this information due to the fact that it's not even giving a "speed" information, it's just giving movement to and from previous frame utilizing all 4 channels of an RGBA image.

Any ideas on how I might be able to use it would be very much appreciated. I'm not tremendously familiar with blender's internal renderer as I much prefer the look of 3rd party tools, such as octane and the like.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Sep 9, 2012 at 2:52:51 am

It looks like it as per this description. You can always use the version of RSMB for now that works without motion vectors, that is works by estimating the pixel motion from the video itself. Although RSMB+Vectors for flat/low-textured graphics works sometimes more accurately from vectors rendered from the 3D system, many people are happy with just good old regular RSMB.

I remember that earlier this year I did file on the blender developer list an offer to help out someone who knows blender code base, but no one has answered.

Pierre

Return to posts index

David Hadden
on Sep 10, 2012 at 10:41:43 am

Hi Pierre,

We're working on a node layout that I think will fix this, however we're getting some issues with keeping non-moving areas of the scene from changing off of the middle value. I'll let you know what I end up coming up with.

Currently we're taking the X Frame from previous and next, and mixing it into the Red Channel, and then the Y movement from Previous and Next and mixing it into the Green channel, and then we're outputting that image, and then putting the alpha channel of all the moving objects through to the alpha channel of the render layer so that we have the alpha channel information pushing through which I believe is the way that the RSMB plug-in is working it out. We're also normalizing the Red and Green channels separately, however I believe that's where we're running into the issue in blender because it *appears* from my limited understanding of how the normalize function is working that it's not normalizing it the way we want :(.

I'll let you know what we come up with, in the meantime, you're quite right, RSMB Pro is a very good tool for adding Motion Blur post render on it's own.

Return to posts index

David Hadden
on Sep 11, 2012 at 2:30:02 am

We appear to have something that is giving the correct color -> directions, however we're still fine tuning this a bit, and trying to get a more elegant alpha channel solution ( currently we're using object passes and only allowing the objects that are moving into the pass, however if we have objects that aren't moving the whole time, then we'd have to keyframe the inclusion of those objects which I'd like to try and create a better solution.

We're also getting a bit of trouble with some of the information, so it's not perfect yet, but it's getting closer.

A great big shoutout to the blenderartists.org community for helping make this happen btw.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]