FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Jump Back" footage whilst using Twixtor

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Bilson
"Jump Back" footage whilst using Twixtor
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:04:58 pm

Hey guys, glad to be a part of the community I've so very frequented. Hope everyone is doing well and I REALLY hope someone can solve my problem.

I've been playing with Twixtor inside Premiere Pro 5.5 the past couple of days. First off, it's awesome.. and something that can really add production value to anyone's video. But I've been having a little snag EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to slow down some footage.

I've duplicated and nested my clips, about 4 times the normal clip. After I've nested it, I track into the footage where I want the footage to slow down. To make the rest easier to understand, I'll tell you what I've filmed: I used my GoPro, set at 60fps/720p, to film my dog jumping up at the camera. I got some usable test shots and I threw them into Adobe. Nested, tracked to right before my dog jumps in the air, applied Twixtor and set my keyframes accordingly to where he jumps.... and BAM! The footage reverses to earlier in the clip, let's say right when Jack (dog) is running around in the yard, before he jumps at the camera.

Confused? Probably, I'm trying to make it readable! So sorry if this is confusing.

Basically, every time I find the spot where I want Twixtor to start twixting, the footage will jump back to somewhere earlier in the clip. This has happened every time and it's so, SO frustrating. I watch all these tutorials on YouTube, and they never have the problem. At first I thought it was my playback rendering, just playing tricks on me. But even after I've exported it, it does the same stuff.

Please creative cow members, PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong. If you need screen caps then I'll gladly provide them.

Thank you so much in advance, here's to solving this darn thing! *cheers*

Robert

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: "Jump Back" footage whilst using Twixtor
on Jun 21, 2012 at 11:46:00 pm

Let's say the dog needs to be slowed down, and the first frame you want to slow down is at frame 200, and you want to slow it down to 33% (3 times slower).

When you go to frame 200 and set Twixtor's speed to 33%, then all of a sudden you will be looking at original frame 66 (33% of 200). What you call "jumping back".

This is what I expect, because you are telling the whole clip to slow down.

let's say you set a keyframe for Twixtor's speed at frame 0 of 100% and at frame 200 you set a speed of 33%. This still doesn't fix the problem because Premiere will animate Twixtor's speed from 100% to 33% over the course of the 200 frames. Now what?

Well, place a keyframe of 100% at time 0, and another keyframe of 100% at time 199. Then the clip will be forced to play at 100% for the entire set of frames up to 199. THen change the speed to 33% at frame 200.

Hope this helps,
Pete LItwinowicz
RE:Vision Effects, Inc.

Return to posts index

Robert Bilson
on Jun 22, 2012 at 3:28:40 pm

Peter,

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, that's exactly how I apply the Twixtor effect to the footage. I'll slap a 100% keyframe at the first of the clip, then right before the dog jumps, I'll put another 100% keyframe, track forward a couple of frames and change the value to 10%. The footage jumps back and slows down the wrong part of it.. say, when the dog is looking up at me, about to jump, THAT'S in 10% speed.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:26:28 pm

Check one thing, there is a bug in Premiere CS5.5 (fine in CS5 and 6) with regards to the first frame key-frame, sometimes it does not hold. Use the keyframe arrows to navigate back to the first key-frame and make sure it's actually 100%, sometimes it's the last value you entered somewhere else. If so delete and reenter.

Second, go to the second 100% value (you only really need the second one), has the clip moved at that point?

Also if you are trying to match particular action, sometimes it's better to work in Frame Mode rather then Speed Mode.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Robert Bilson
on Jun 22, 2012 at 7:30:32 pm

Thanks Pierre, I'll take a look at the glitch. Can you point me in the right direction in terms of working in Frame mode? I see that in the Twixtor settings, but I'm not sure about the logistics of it.

Is frame mode better to use, if you know how to use it properly?

Return to posts index

Lori Freitag
on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:33:01 pm

Here is the tutorial explaining "Frame mode" in Premiere.
http://library.creativecow.net/freitag_lori/twixtor-premiere-pro-speed-ramp...

Return to posts index

Joe Riggs
on Dec 17, 2012 at 11:30:46 am

I am experiencing the exact same issue only I'm not speed ramping. I just want a clip to play at 50%. However, as soon as I change the speed, it jumps back to an area before the point I want it to start twixtoring.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Dec 17, 2012 at 4:21:25 pm

If you set the in-point in premiere for the clip, note that Twixtor stills thinks frame 0 is the initial in-point with regards to frame 0. Since you already needed to make s nested sequence to make the sequence longer what you should do instead is slide the clip in time in the nested sequence so the first frame is where you want to start the retimed version to be.

Pierre

Return to posts index

Joe Riggs
on Dec 19, 2012 at 3:51:15 am

I'm coming from FCP 7, the twixtor in that program works as one would expect. At the edit point apply twixtor, adjust to desired speed in the twixtor menu and boom it will twixtor from that edit point.

I never had to search for the exact edit point and only had to nest a sequence if the clip was very short.

[Pierre Jasmin] " Since you already needed to make s nested sequence to make the sequence longer what you should do instead is slide the clip in time in the nested sequence so the first frame is where you want to start the retimed version to be."

Now in Premiere CS6 are you telling me I have to nest a clip, and search for the exact frame? That is way more complicated and unnecessary than in FCP7 (keep in mind I'm just want to slow a clip to 50% not speed ramp or anything fancy).

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joe Riggs
on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:55:52 am

Just tested this. Yep, it seems that in Premiere, you must nest a clip for twixtor to work at the desired edit point. While in FCP7, you can just apply the filter, and it will twixtor from the edit point without the need to nest.

It's disappointing that premiere requires this extra step.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Dec 19, 2012 at 6:10:03 pm

I personally don't think it's an extra step
But it is a different order you have to be aware of.
Each with advantages and disadvantages depending on what you do.

You can sort of see this as one way will set in-point in pre-twixtor time and the other in post-twixtor time. Frankly, we would prefer if both these apps allowed us to extend the duration of a clip within the plugin then we could make this more efficient. Actually from something like CS4.0.2 to CS4.1 Premiere did it the way you describe FCP does and many users complained...

You can sort of see the Premiere workflow as requiring you to prep a sub-clip if you like (i.e. isolating the section you want to slow-mo). You can then for example set Twixtor on the clip on a video track and set in and out point to insert in your timeline so it fits a particular duration, and change your mind, grab the in-point and change it and the other frames don't move...

In FCP if you want to change the in-point after applying the effect everything moves which does not work well if you are in Twixtor Frame Mode, e.g. need to synch to an audio event... Your preferred way might be more convenient in the case where all you do is set a constant speed value in Twixtor as you then set the start point directly when you set in point UI.

Pierre

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]