FORUMS: list search recent posts

Twixtor 60p to 24p in Vegas

COW Forums : RE:Vision Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Rockwell
Twixtor 60p to 24p in Vegas
on Jan 25, 2012 at 9:12:51 pm

I watched the online tutorial on frame rates and deinterlacing.

I’m shooting in 60p and want to use twixtor to generate 24p using all of the original frames. I understand how to do it if I want my final output to be slowed down. In the case where I do not want to slow down the motion, just resample to 24p it’s not clear.

From the tutorial:

Apply twixtor as media effect if speeding up.

Apply twixtor as an event effect if slowing down.

Set event framerate to 40% (24/60) so Vegas sees all of the frames. This also slows down playback 40%. I want playback at 100% but at 24p. This is speeding up so according to the tutorial Twixtor should be applied as a media effect, but then it isn’t using all of the frames.

Looking at the signal flow diagram in the Vegas documentation applying Twixtor at the media level gives me no way to tell it to use all frames by slowing playback 40%

Is there a way to do this?

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
Re: Twixtor 60p to 24p in Vegas
on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:19:14 am

I certainly understand the problem.

Return to posts index

Martin Rockwell
on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:33:49 am

Pete, thanks. Glad I had your reply emailed because only the first sentence is visible in this forum. Apparently the forum software cut it off due to empty lines between paragraphs. All I see in the forum post is "I understand the problem".

Thanks also for the tip on interlaced material. In this case I have progressive, but I have another camera I shoot interlaced with.

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:59:58 am

I originally posted a wrong answer and went to edit it, and I'm wondering if you have the version I MEANT to put up! Perhaps that version has been lost to the ether? :-)

Can you post the response you received from so that all can see? I always get copies mailed to me, but my final version that was emailed to me also has the info cut.

I originally posted a wrong answer and went to edit it, and I'm wondering if you have the version I MEANT to put up!
Pete

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:00:31 am

Nevermind! I'll just rewrite the correct answer here.

Return to posts index

Martin Rockwell
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:06:48 am

Here it is Pete:

I certainly understand the problem.

The reason we tell people to Media Fx when speeding up is that you can get to all the frames. This means, most often, the when slowing down you'll want to use Video EVent FX, so that you can use the looping feature of the video subclip to extend the sequence. It's really an oversimplification to say "use Media Fx for speeding up and use Video Event Fx when slowing down", when what we really mean is "use Media Fx if you are creating fewere frames if Twixtor wasn't applied, and Video Event Fx if you are creating more frames"

So in your case, please use Media Event Fx!

Another thing to note: when applied as a Media Event FX, Twixtor is not told whether or not the footage is interlaced. So when you are performing a conversion with interlaced material, you'll want to use Video Event FX if you need to get to all the interlaced material. Yes, this makes it difficult to convert from 60i to 24p, but in that case you'd just create a 24p intermediate rendered clip from the 60i footage (creating a frame for each original field, at the new frame rate) using Sony's playback rate, as described in the tutorials. Then, you'd apply Twixtor to the new (longer) 24p material in a 24p project, applying Twixtor as a Media Event Fx, because you'll be making fewer frames after retiming (which is *EXACTLY* the case you are describing).

hope this helps!
pete

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:11:33 am

Yeah, that answer is incorrect. Read my new answer.
Pete

Return to posts index

Peter Litwinowicz
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:10:54 am

So my real answer was this:

So I understand the problem.

Looks like the solution is a bit convoluted because you can only use the playback rate of Vegas to see every frame at the new frame rate, followed by using Twixtor as a Video Event Fx if you are changing frame a lower to higher frame rate.

To convert from a higher frame rate (such as 60 to 24), as you want to do, you'd normally want to use Vegas' playback rate so we can see all of the original frames at the new frame rate. This will make the clip longer in duration. THen you'd need to apply Twixtor to speed it up. As such we ask you to apply Twixtor as a Media Event Fx. But as you've discovered, there is a problem. In this case, you can't apply Vegas' playback rate and then apply Twixtor as a Media Fx, because Vegas' playback rate in this case is applied AFTER Twixtor is applied, which is not what we want.

You have two options:
1) after using Vegas' playback rate to convert the clip from 60 to 24 fps, write it out to disk. Then read it back in and apply Twixor to the new, longer-in-time, at-the-new-frame-rate, clip and apply Twixtor as a Media FX (using a speed of 250%, which is 60/24), and then trim the clip to the original duration it was at 60p.

2) put the 60p clip onto the 24p timeline, set Vegas' playback rate as appropriate to see each frame at the new frame rate, then apply Twixtor as a Video Event Fx. However, you won't be able to trim the clip (otherwise Twixtor doesn't see all the original frames, as you've found and we've described in our tutorials). SO you can simply then render out the Twixtored clip, but only the portion that corresponds to the original 60p duration. (that is, don't trim it!).

Either way you are going to have to write out an intermediate clip!
Pete

Return to posts index

Martin Rockwell
on Jan 26, 2012 at 3:45:40 pm

Thanks again, this all makes sense.

Return to posts index

Andrew Peralta
on Mar 30, 2013 at 2:35:50 pm

I don't follow the second method. After we apply twixtor as a video fx, what do we do in the twixtor settings to play it back at full 24p speed? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Mar 30, 2013 at 4:02:05 pm

Andrew,

Maybe just render it and reimport it in your main project?

Did you look at our tutorial?
http://help.revisionfx.com/album/26/#/tutorial-132

and the PDF doc - from which I quote -- if you want to trim the output video:
"
Note: You will need to use Twixtor as a Video Event FX when you are making the clip longer. However, you will need to use Twixtor as a Media FX (not Video Event FX) when you want your result to be shorter than the original. This is because of a problem in Sony Vegas that will produce incorrect results when shortening your clip and using Twixtor as a Video Event FX.
"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]